Texas Fishing Forum

Jack plate adjustment

Posted By: Stick um all

Jack plate adjustment - 09/25/16 04:56 PM

I have a tzx195 with a HPDI 175. My RPM's seem a little low at top end. Should I play with my jack plate adj. is there a rule of thumb to raise or lower?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/25/16 07:05 PM

Only rule is to raise it in small increments. Check everything else first like is throttle linkage getting to full throttle, is ignition timing correct and all fuel components in good shape. Any prop dings?

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/25/16 07:34 PM

No prop dings. It's a new boat. I bought it back in February. I've had it in the shop already for a miss and power loss. The power loss was the result of a throttle cable clip popping loose under the cal. I put a zip tie on it to keep it from dong it again. I've had some trouble with getting the tac set correctly. New it was red lining at top end. The mec. Says that it was set incorrectly. He reset it and it was reading nothing at all. I played with it on the lake and got it reading again. It shows what the mec. Lap top did low RPMS. He told me to play with the jack plate or change the prop pitch. I'm still not sure f the tac is reading correctly. Top end shows 5300 rpm. His lap top showed 5600. Everything I've read says that it should be turning 6000.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/26/16 12:28 PM

set the prop shaft height at 3.5" below pad.
run the boat, and verify
max rpms
water pressure
gps speed
boat handling

if all is good, go up in 1/4 to 1/2 inch increments
until something falls off, then lower 1/4 until it all comes back.

if your not sure how to measure.
visit.
www.stevescustomprops.com
on the left side is a link that shows you "how to measure prop shaft height"
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/26/16 04:00 PM

#1 Rule of setting up your boat correctly: Take it too far and bring it back. It takes time, and it's a pain, but it's the only way YOU will know exactly what's right for YOUR boat. No two props/hulls/motors/weight is identical, you have to find what right for your rig.

Raise 1/4" at a time until you lose: Lift, speed, or water pressure. Then back a click and you're dead on.

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/26/16 08:19 PM

Thanks. It seems I will soon be on the lake for test and tune.

Re: Jack plate adjustment - 09/29/16 06:42 PM

Went up a full inch. 1/4 at a time. No change that I could tell, except the bow seems to ride a little higher. Try again another day soon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum