Texas Fishing Forum

Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection

Posted By: Stump jumper

Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/11/16 08:32 PM

Mercury 175 remote tank leaks at hose fitting and has as long as I can remember. I have a sock over it but still get oil on battery and it runs down tank. I think I just need to replace the fitting which has never seemed to snug up well. Is tho a common problem?
Posted By: OPTI

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/11/16 08:50 PM

Does it leak around the fittings or the cap. If its around fittings I seen them get hair line cracks in the cap and will on leak when system is under pressure. If its leaking around the the cap check oring and make sure it is tightened down squarely

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/11/16 08:54 PM

Does it have the two nipples or the quick disconnect

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/11/16 11:51 PM

It has a quick connect with 2 lines. Tank side looks like what you would see on a portable gas tank. I am pretty certain it is leaking around the quick connect. I did some searching on line but have not found the connector. I am going to Check the hose clamps next time I fill it.

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 12:52 AM

What you need to do is get a later model like a 2000 model or newer year V-6 oil pick up cap. They did away with the quick disconnect and went to a cap with two nipples and you hook up the line with a blue stripe which is the oil line to the middle nipple and the solid black line is the pressure line. This will solve your problem but remember you will have to bleed the lines once you replace the cap.I'll look up the part# tomorrow if you would like me too.....OPTI

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: OPTI
What you need to do is get a later model like a 2000 model or newer year V-6 oil pick up cap. They did away with the quick disconnect and went to a cap with two nipples and you hook up the line with a blue stripe which is the oil line to the middle nipple and the solid black line is the pressure line. This will solve your problem but remember you will have to bleed the lines once you replace the cap.I'll look up the part# tomorrow if you would like me too.....OPTI
thanks, go ahead and give me the part number. What does bleeding the line involve?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 01:29 PM

It involves loosening the bleed screw on the oil pump, releasing any trapped air, while the outboard is running. Need to know what model and year. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-175%20%28EFI%29/0G303046%20THRU%200G760299/OIL%20INJECTION%20COMPONENTS/parts.html ----------There is a small phillips head screw to the right of the oil out line connection.
Posted By: RANGER SKI

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 02:44 PM

To bleed hose from tank hook up air side and run motor on hose. when oil starts coming out hose hook up to tank under cowl. you will need a rag as the oil will start and won,t stop until hooked up to tank. no need to loosen bleed screw on pump
Posted By: RANGER SKI

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 02:44 PM

To bleed hose from tank hook up air side and run motor on hose. when oil starts coming out hose hook up to tank under cowl. you will need a rag as the oil will start and won,t stop until hooked up to tank. no need to loosen bleed screw on pump

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 03:02 PM

Part # 816190A4

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/12/16 05:12 PM

thanks, I have bled at the pump before after replacing lines on the motor. fyi, motor is a 1985 175V. It has been a good motor. I want to keep it going as long as I can get parts for it. The oil leak is annoying and while it is small it does not take much to make a mess out of the bilge.
Posted By: lakeman

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/13/16 02:00 AM

Stump, I have a exact same motor as you do and a several years ago i took my remote tank out and do my own mixing, I will look tomorrow and see if i can find it, hopefully i haven;t thrown it away, ( fingers crossed )

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/13/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: lakeman
Stump, I have a exact same motor as you do and a several years ago i took my remote tank out and do my own mixing, I will look tomorrow and see if i can find it, hopefully i haven;t thrown it away, ( fingers crossed )
I just need the connector off the hose. I checked out the part that Opti gave me and was surprised that they were north of $100.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/13/16 12:02 PM

You made the comment about making this motor last as long as possible. I would pull all of the oil injection, block off the oil pump and start pre-mixing.

Re: Mercury remote oil tank leaks at connection - 09/13/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
You made the comment about making this motor last as long as possible. I would pull all of the oil injection, block off the oil pump and start pre-mixing.
it is on my mind and might do it some day. I like the convenience of oil injection and not having to guess at how much gas I have left in the tank. Motor was rebuilt several years ago and pump gear was worn but not near failure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum