Texas Fishing Forum

Purchasing Older Boat

Posted By: Fisher421

Purchasing Older Boat - 09/06/16 09:19 PM

I'm considering purchasing a 2008 year model Skeeter and would love to get some thoughts on buying a boat with this much age. The boat and motor (Yamaha VMAX 200) has 160 hours and newly installed impeller. The boat is said to have always been garaged and hasn't seen much use due to the owners health. I know that service history is a major factor but am curious on opinions about how much concern I should have over the motor having sat for so long with little use - I'm guessing it has seen virtually no use for the last couple of years. Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/06/16 10:06 PM

Well a 2008 model is really not considered old these day especially by me since I have a 2001 model. Taken care of and kept in a garage environment will last a good while. The main thing to worry about would be how old the fuel is and if in doubt pump it out. Then get the lower unit service with complete water pump kit. Make sure to use good additives to the fuel like Seafoam, the Yamaha stuff or at a minimum Sta-bil. I personally use Seafoam in mine 1oz per gallon of fuel. Check fuel lines and replace fuel filters. Look at the plugs and if any doubt replace. Of course check trailer bearings and tires. You at least want to get it home. I'm sure there will be more suggestions that I may have forgot. Enjoy it!
Posted By: Team Brown Stripe

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/07/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: 2015fordnut
Well a 2008 model is really not considered old these day especially by me since I have a 2001 model.

Now mine feels really old at a 1990... flame
But my motor is only a couple years old.... Well Rebuilt....
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/07/16 03:19 AM

I always tell people to take the boat to a lake for a whole day before buying. Get it checked out no matter what anyone says. You can get temporary trip insurance through your vehicle`s policy.

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/07/16 02:28 PM

Thanks for the responses on this. The advice is much appreciated. I also found a good deal on a new one, so having to decide which way to go. Buying used saves about $15k. Would love to buy new but not sure it's really justified for that much savings.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/07/16 02:32 PM

if ya want old, come ride in my 82 champion 184.

lol

Re: Purchasing Older Boat - 09/07/16 04:23 PM

Ha - yes that's got a few years on it. I think "old" wasn't the best description...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum