Texas Fishing Forum

Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong

Posted By: lenahorse

Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/04/16 05:01 PM

Got a question for the experts here
97 Johnson 130
starts great runs great
runs out of fuel at idle have to pump bulb back up and starts easy then also after sitting awhile may need to squeeze fuel blub to start

Thanks to all in advance
Larry
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/04/16 07:33 PM

You have a leak on a fuel line or the fuel pump is bad. VRO? change it to electric and never look back. Have converted several to electric this year and customers brag about how much easier the motor starts and how much better they run. I found it much better to mount the electric pump close to the fuel tank.

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/05/16 01:35 PM

Gary I premix fuel
Thanks

I wish you were closer to me!
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/05/16 02:52 PM

Premixing isn't the whole issue here. If the fuEl side of your vro starts getting weak it will still cause hard starts. By going to a 12 volt electric pump you save money because the electric pump is much less expensive, and it gives you better pressure to the motor, solving your hard atart problem as well. A new vro is 500+ before labor.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/05/16 06:55 PM

Yes

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/06/16 01:29 AM

Starts easy just some problem at idle
We ran 12 gal through it today and honestly it did pretty well died 1 time at idle the other many times we started it just fine, after a long hard run back to the ramp it idled perfect waiting to load it up, it ran better today that it has in the last 3 trips, instant starting.

thanks again to all
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/07/16 02:35 PM

run a couple of cans of seafoam through it with 5 gals of mix, this may help with idle and will for sure help clean it out.

I agree with the electric pump too, you know why. lol.
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Idle ? Anyone ------Gary Purdy or Hopolong - 09/08/16 02:40 PM

my son had close to same problem, he put electric pump and all is great now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum