Texas Fishing Forum

Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed?

Posted By: KC_Fisher

Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 03:05 AM

I read a post on bass cat forums by bass cat boats, that switching from a 788 to a 1197 with a ram mount adds around 10 lbs to the front of the boat and would hurt top end by several mph. Anyone have similar experiences? Would hate to install a 1199 and 360 at the bow and lose several mph
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 03:40 AM

I wouldn't upgrade. The addition outrageous weight difference combined with the added wind resistance of the larger screen probably wouldn't even let you get up on plane. You would have to re-prop to compensate for all of that.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 10:17 AM

what do ya consider "several"?
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 12:31 PM

Anything you add that increases weight and/or wind resistance so going to slow you down some. I would put power poles at the top of the list. But a larger graph is probably going to have less of an effect and possibly there are some mounting bracket options that will minimize the issue. That being said, I think losing "several" mph just by upsizing your graph is questionable. JMO though.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 12:33 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 12:53 PM

If your boat is fast enough your windshield slows you down.

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 01:01 PM

Maybe if you tilt the forward fishfinder at the correct angle it will act as an air foil and help you control the lift on the front of the boat.

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 01:03 PM

I wonder what the OP's current top speed is currently.. 90, 10, 110?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 02:28 PM

That's it! My 12 touch is coming off. rolleyes
Posted By: KC_Fisher

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 04:08 PM

I appreciate the funny responses guys. I've got an fx20 that runs 75 light right now. I'm asking because there are mount considerations. I'm still rigging my boat. i only have a 798 right now up front and if adding a 360 and 1199 are going to make me lose 3 mph or more, I would want to remove and put them in the back for long runs. At lake of the ozarks I'll sometimes make a 45 mile run each way in a tournament.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 05:50 PM

You do realize that losing 3 mph on a 45 mile run is only going to take you 1 minute and 29 seconds longer. You would lose more time than that removing it and reinstalling for the run.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 07:06 PM

if the size of the graph on the bow of your fishing boat is a speed consideration it would probly be a good time to take up another hobby.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
You do realize that losing 3 mph on a 45 mile run is only going to take you 1 minute and 29 seconds longer. You would lose more time than that removing it and reinstalling for the run.
Originally Posted By: ssmith
if the size of the graph on the bow of your fishing boat is a speed consideration it would probly be a good time to take up another hobby.

Haha. Both of you kinda nailed it. Especially Bobby.

If these decisions are really bugging you, I'd just get the small graph.

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 08:01 PM

Just put a cinder block on your front deck and run it. After you load down with a real tournament load it's not gonna make a difference. Trying to duplicate a light and dry speed with a load is a humbling experience.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 09:30 PM

You're worried about speed with a Skeeter?
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/04/16 10:44 PM

Try not filling up, a gallon of gasoline weighs 6.183 x 50= 309.15 compare that weight to a
11 lb graph and top end speed.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/05/16 02:24 AM

This did not slow the boat down:
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/06/16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
If your boat is fast enough your windshield slows you down.
What if the person driving the boat is as wide as the windshield? In that case unless he hunkered down behind the dash I would not think the windshield would matter.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/06/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: ssmith

LOL....AGREED!!!
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/07/16 02:22 AM

The answer is no. Not noticeable at tournament load.

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/07/16 02:46 AM

Speed is weight and horsepower.
And drag...
If you can run over 75, you'll see it increase if you take the windshields off, and a dual console won't run as fast as a single.

But we are also creatures of comfort, so you can go get an XB Allison and live without some comfort but be confident nobody is going to pass you, or start compromising some speed for comforts.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/07/16 05:51 AM

this..

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
The answer is no. Not noticeable at tournament load.

unless ya runnin' a stripped down, paper weight Allison or Bullet with a stem winder motor.. clue! bass cat folks are fishin' guys too!

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/07/16 09:40 PM

It's your boat. Your decision. If losing speed is more important than the equipment/tools used for fishing then I wouldn't add them. The question I have is time wise, how long are you gonna run (maybe 2-3mph slower if that much)versus how much time using 1199 & 360 to locate & catch fish. In other words what's more important to YOU? Go fast or catch fish using electronics. I personally have never seen a fish caught at 70mph.

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 09/07/16 09:47 PM

Pat is one to listen to if you want tips on either going fast or equipping a boat. He's rigged & ran a fast bassboat or two... Or more...
Posted By: Chris G. Davis

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/01/16 12:13 AM

If top speed and long runs are important, keep the graph mount as low to the deck as possible. You could use a ram mount and lay it flat on the deck when making long runs, or racing your buddy! The added weight will have a minor effect as well. Go for it!
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/06/16 01:18 AM

Adding bigger graphs and a Talon only impacted my empty weight speed by 2 mph. My speed with a load, partner, fuel, and livewells didn't really change.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/06/16 03:32 PM

My daddy can whip your daddy
Posted By: dhelms

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/10/16 12:09 AM

75 mph is pretty stout anyway. I'd sacrifice a few mph to have better equipment.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/10/16 12:21 PM

weight is weight, and resistance is resistance.

bow weight of a graph isn't that big of a deal.. i think the resistance is more so.

when making a long run, turn the graph down so it's parallel to the deck.

big graphs at the console (like i've been seeing all over) can hurt more than anything. that's like
having a 32" t.v. on the console. that's alot of wind resistance, which can hurt the speed.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 10/12/16 03:36 AM

If i put a sail , a bimini top , a drift sock, power poles in the down position , and drop the anchor while running wide open how many mph's should i expect to gain?
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 11/03/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: HasBen
Anything you add that increases weight and/or wind resistance so going to slow you down some. I would put power poles at the top of the list. But a larger graph is probably going to have less of an effect and possibly there are some mounting bracket options that will minimize the issue. That being said, I think losing "several" mph just by upsizing your graph is questionable. JMO though.

X2---Not going to slow it down enough to even really notice. Power-Poles are another story all together!
Posted By: varnoldi

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 11/03/16 06:35 PM

i got a fish n ski . in the summer i put 300lbs of sand in the bow for a better wake . lost 3 mph top speed.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 11/03/16 07:21 PM

300 lbs----wouldn't doubt it for a second!
Posted By: Ranger 188

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 11/04/16 11:59 PM

Heck, the solution is simple, get rid of the graphs, dress like an Olympic speed skater and fast the week before that 45 mile run. That should get you up to 75.8 mph.
Posted By: YAMADOGGY

Re: Do big bow graphs hurt top end speed? - 11/05/16 12:38 AM

that's kind of ridicules, I guess if a boat cant get the bow up at all on plane yes, but champions, etc have no problem with that like most...wind resistance? yes the more barn door in the wind the more resistance, if someone is worried about 1/2 or less mph good luck.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum