Texas Fishing Forum

Getting ripped off? HELP

Posted By: DTX Angler

Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 03:32 AM

Ok so I hit a rock and it shaved a decent inch of my skeg and dented only 1 blade (I have a 4 bladed prop). Took it in to my local marine... Told me the prop shaft was bent to and that it would cost $1600 for everything to be replaced. I'm a kid and don't have that kind of money laying around, they also told me to go through insurance which sounded sketchy. Correct me if I'm wrong but to fix 1 blade that's a little bit bent shouldn't cost more than $150, a skeg replaced shouldn't be more than a couple hundred and to fix the bent prop shaft there is no way it cost $1200? I would really appreciate some help and suggestions one what I should do. By the way I'm not going through insurance because my deductible is $1000. Thanks.
Posted By: CADD

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 04:14 AM

Not sure what motor etc you have but a bent lower unit drive shaft... labor and parts and testing 1200 doesn't sound that far off but high... the cost would be the labor + he's not going to be sure what else might have gotten missed up in there?
Take to another shop or two

Travis
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 06:54 AM

Depends on the type of shop and his rates. I would assume that if he knew you had insurance that he just gave you the insurance price to fix. They'll do extras and bilk the insurance a bit instead of just what needs to be done sometimes. Shop around. They might find more damage inside and the price could go up and then would be worthwhile going through the insurance.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 08:52 AM

I would think the quote for the bent prop shaft would be for a lower unit rebuild, I can't see a shop just replacing the prop shaft and not doing bearings, seals, water pump, etc while they are in there, especially if they guarantee their work. I would ask for more detail on what they plan to do and also get another estimate from another shop.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 09:47 AM

There are those out there that say they can straighten a bent prop shaft. That's hardened steel you bent and when you bend it back straight, it weakens the metal...recipe for a lost prop later on.

Prop pitch and rake on a prop changes over time with normal use, even a stainless prop. Prop builders use pitch blocks to adjust the rake and pitch of blades. Once you repair one, almost all of them will need some tuning to properly balance and align the prop.

Welding on a skeg takes some talent. TIG welders ain't cheap.

Pony up the cash. It's a boat..Bring On Another Thousand.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 11:38 AM

Service Marine in Emory 903-473-3909 can take your prop shaft out and straighten it. They will check all bearings and pressure test it.A lot of people here on Fork are running prop shafts that have been straightened with no issues. You are right, prop repair should be less than $200. I would never pay $1600 for the damage you described. You can have the skeg welded or put a skeg guard on it or run it like it is. Call Chuck or Perry at Service Marine. They will get you going.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 01:02 PM

$1600 sounds about right. Rockwall Marine replaced the one on my Merc and it totaled around $1800. I filed it on insurance. Actually made one call to Bob Luellen and next day adjuster was at shop and had check by end of week. I would never recommend to just have the shaft straightened. I've worked with enough heavy machinery and know what happens to stressed hardend steel. They will inspect all hardware replace seals and complete water pump assembly pressure test new gear oil and warranty. My prop was just slightly bent and Steve's had a 2 week lead time so I opted to wait and get the prop fixed later and that covered my deductible. My policy is a $500 deductible agreed value policy through Worldwide Marine and Progressive and costs less than $325 @ year. I would look for another policy with a lower deductible but that's like shutting the barn door after the cow got out for your situation now. Think about this and the old saying pay me now or later. I myself darn sure don't like buying the same ground twice so do it right the first time and you won't regret it.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 01:13 PM

DTX you're not getting ripped off you just need to understand what it takes to make the correct repair for you.

Bobby, We don't and can't "jack up " the prices for insurance claims like you think. The insurance companies have the same access we have for MSRP on parts and flat rate.
Posted By: DTX Angler

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice, it helps a lot. I called the guy today and asked him how much it would cost to just fix the 1 blade (4 blade prop) and the skeg. He said $600. A worker at his shop told me they could fix that prop for $150. Also when I told him I wasn't going to go through insurance after he told me the price he said "oh your not going through insurance?". I'm picking up the boat today from their shop and I'm going to try another place to compare. Again, thanks for your help everyone.
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 06:02 PM

where you located
Posted By: TSpencer

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 07:23 PM

Check with a reputable shop that straightens shafts and get it straightened if it is not bent too bad. Nettles Props here in Austin can straighten them most of the time without even removing it from the engine. They do a ton of these and have for years. Around $175 and you pick your boat up in a couple of hours. I had the SAME shaft straightened on my 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66 three times in this manner throughout the years. The 4th time I bent it so bad the boat would hardly plane, so I decided to replace the shaft. A very reputable mechanic did the swap and said the bearings looked great, just needed the shaft.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 08:57 PM

The reason they are saying you should file it under insurance is because it will be less expensive out of pocket for you and will provide you with a complete fix. You are not being ripped off, I spent some time in a shop. Depending on your motor that shaft is likely $300 for the part. Prop repair will require fixing the blade as well as balancing there is a couple hours labor in that. Skeg runs about $100 for a new one and then labor to weld it. Not cheaper for someone to form you one, at least not done right. If you are not gong to use your insurance you should try and get a better deal.you may be able to get by with a bend out, maybe not. TheRe is not a cheap way to fix your issue and do it right.

Better deal on insurance that is.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/26/16 09:14 PM

Why wouldn't you use your insurance? That's what you pay them for. As for the cost of the repairs, I have no idea, but I do know people I trust to do the job right. Most reputable repair shops have more than enough work without having to artificially jack up their prices. Good luck young man.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 06:27 AM

A bent prop shaft CAN be straightened if it's not too bad. There are limits. Me personally I would rather have a NEW prop shaft, LU taken apart & checked, seals,etc. Use your insurance. They cover impact damage. That price is most likely for the whole thing (or should be). Honestly if you pay to have that shaft straightened without going into LU to check everything you won't be happy when it busts the case if there's a chip or gouge in a pinion gear. You'd be back to square 1 with a LU that's no good. Entire thing done & you have no doubt about gears,bearings,seals,shaft,water pump( done every 1-2 years anyway) & skeg. You should get 2 more quotes from reputable shops all including total rebuild. I'd take prop to Steve & Josh at SCP. No one better at prop work(my opinion only) Call Hughes Marine in McKinney & Tommy Yetts at Rockwall Marine. It might be a bitter pill to swallow but They will shoot straight with you. They will give good estimates & stand behind their work. In short, don't piecemeal this deal. Do it right 1st time. It's worth it. After that you should update insurance to a $500 deductible. You WON'T regret that & It don't cost that much more. Mine is only $325 per year. Good luck.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 07:24 AM

That bent blade on the prop can cause all kinds of havoc. A NEW prop can be bought for $600 but a new prop outta the box isn't balanced/perfect.You didn't say what motor you've got but any 150 or bigger HP will be worth them working it.LOTSA props on here for $350 or less. But??? Your prop worked by Josh & Steve will be right, balanced & worth every $.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 01:47 PM

I broke a prop shaft on my old 50 Merc and the shaft alone was over $400 plus bearing and seals and gear oil on top of that. Replacing the whole mess and doing the work myself was around $800 considering I had to buy a new prop because the old one is at the bottom of Ray Roberts. I was very lucky not to have any skeg damage or the cost would have been much more.
Posted By: WTBOATMAN

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 02:22 PM

95% of the time the prop shaft bends right behind the prop , outside the carrier , most dealers change the shaft because they can make a heck off a lot more money
Customers want to trust the shop but sometimes its good to do what you are doing and ask for peoples opinion
I CHARGE $200 to straighten a shaft and don't even have to take the lower unit off the motor
I use a prop shaft straitened tool, I have done maybe 200 of them and as far as I know now gears inside where damaged by impact when the shaft bent
My estimate with prop repair and skeg welded on it and straighten shaft would be about $575 plus tax
GOOD LUCK

Posted By: Chris B

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 02:52 PM

I bent a prop shaft about three years ago. I had service marine straighten it after talking to a few people who had done the same. Three years later, no problems.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/27/16 04:09 PM

How long did you run it that way and have you checked the color of your lower unit oil?
Posted By: Team Brown Stripe

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/29/16 01:04 AM

Ronnie at Xtreme Marine in Grand Prairie straightened my prop shaft years ago and I've never had an issue and I twist my motor over 7K rpms all the time. He did take the lower unit apart to check all the internals and straightened it out of the lower unit. He checked it after finished and it was perfectly straight. I watched him do the repair and was with him when he was checking it.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 08/29/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DTX Angler
Thanks everyone for your advice, it helps a lot. I called the guy today and asked him how much it would cost to just fix the 1 blade (4 blade prop) and the skeg. He said $600. A worker at his shop told me they could fix that prop for $150. Also when I told him I wasn't going to go through insurance after he told me the price he said "oh your not going through insurance?". I'm picking up the boat today from their shop and I'm going to try another place to compare. Again, thanks for your help everyone.
no way a skeg and prop repair should cost you $600. Last time I had a prop shaft replaced was 30 years ago and it was $800. So I am not surprised at your price. If you have insurance file a claim.
Posted By: Terry5357

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 10/09/16 08:41 PM

New SEI lower unit is about $800 for a 1998 225 EFI it does not have low water pick up in the nose of the gear case though
Posted By: machinist

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 10/09/16 10:22 PM

Prop shafts are not hardened, if they were they would break when impacted. I have straightened all kinds of shafts and most can be done easily. As WBOATMAN said it can be done while still in the motor most times. Of all the repairs you said you needed the welding on the skeg would be the hardest because if you get the housing to hot you could warp the housing. If you only knocked off a inch I think I would just smooth things out and see how it does after repairing the prop($150) and straightening the prop shaft($200)

Johnny
Posted By: jfe

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 10/28/16 01:23 AM

I ran into some concrete and bent the prop shaft and the prop on a Yamaha 150. Nautical Mile replaced the shaft for about $850.00 and Steve did the prop for $165.00. So shop around before you make a deal with anybody. Also, Steve can fix the skeg for you. I can't remember what he quoted me, but it was really reasonable.

jfe
Posted By: Josh@SCP

Re: Getting ripped off? HELP - 11/01/16 12:44 PM

Prop repair averages around 150. SOme places will be higher some lower. Skeg replacement is about the same average. SOme places will be higher some lower, and it also depends on what gearcase you have. You can also look into having a shop fix your propshaft. Address the shaft and prop first then fix the skeg when you have the cash. If you have any questions just give me a call. My number is in the signature.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum