Texas Fishing Forum

Steering Cable

Posted By: mikemtx

Steering Cable - 07/28/16 06:23 PM

Hit a stump and bent the steering cable on a 94 skeeter ss90 with a 90 hp Johnson. Has anyone replaced one and how hard a job is it? Anyone on the forum sell them?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Steering Cable - 07/29/16 01:01 AM

Not to bad. May have to remove the outboard motor. Should be a cable number about 18 inch`s from the motor end.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Steering Cable - 07/29/16 05:22 PM

Like Gary says it is not too bad. Crawling under the dash is the worst part. Tie a rope to the motor end when you pull the old one out. Most numbers are on the motor end but I did have one cable were it was on the helm end. Hopefully you have the clearance with out having to pull the motor. Get the number and get on Amazon or WHolesale Marine.
Posted By: mikemtx

Re: Steering Cable - 08/04/16 12:33 AM

I had to cut the old cable by the shaft to pull the cable out to see the number on the cable. Ordered a new cable and helm from Amazon. Going to rent an engine hoist to lift the motor up to get the old steering shaft out and put the new one in. Thanks for all the tips guys!
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Steering Cable - 08/04/16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: mikemtx
I had to cut the old cable by the shaft to pull the cable out to see the number on the cable. Ordered a new cable and helm from Amazon. Going to rent an engine hoist to lift the motor up to get the old steering shaft out and put the new one in. Thanks for all the tips guys!
heck get a come along and find a good sturdy tree branch with some shade under it. 90 Johnson probably weighs 250?
Posted By: nitro1997

Re: Steering Cable - 08/06/16 03:18 AM

Just replaced my rack and pinion steering. Not to bad of a job. Couple of things learned. Make sure you completely clean out the tube. It will make your life a lot easier. I had to jack the back end of the trailer up to get enough clearance to put the engine back on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum