Texas Fishing Forum

Added some lights to my boat

Posted By: Deerhunter8

Added some lights to my boat - 07/23/16 03:17 PM

Needed

some lights for some night fishing so I bought some Oznium Leds to the deck. Used a great switch they sell to keep the switches looking clean.
I am adding another switch that I ordered today to go to the right of this one for my outside rub rail Leds that I will install later this week. Love how easy they are to install and lights it up great for fishing...
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/23/16 03:22 PM

looks good!
Posted By: rongleaves

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/25/16 02:27 AM

Looks good. How's the visibility at night with red? I'm toying with the idea too and have been told either go with green or red, but definitely not white.
Posted By: Lou r Pitcher

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/25/16 06:55 PM

Quote:
I'm toying with the idea too and have been told either go with green or red, but definitely not white.

We have been advised to avoid adding lights that are not USCG approved as NAV lights...especially if they are RED or GREEN and also to not put blue colored lights where they may be at times underwater.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1015.pdf

Such an equipped boat (illegal added RED lights) recently caused very unnecessary safety risks on Lake Austin as it was appearing to be on a different heading that it actually was. The confusion was causing oncoming boaters with the actual safe right of way to instead change course and steer into its fast moving path.

Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/26/16 12:41 AM

No rationalizing with anyone. They think it looks cool and that's what matters. The Game Warden on their lake will ultimately settle it. I hope everyone lets us know how court worked out for them.

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/26/16 03:49 AM

The lights are inside the boat and light it up nice and I don't lose my night vision
The red lights are not seen unless you are right next to my boat .

No bug issues and if I had to do it again I would still use red

Re: Added some lights to my boat - 07/26/16 03:53 AM

To be clear mine are inside about 1.5 inches off the deck and when I run the lake I turn them off. On the outside I have uv blue led lights coming that will only be on while fishing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum