Texas Fishing Forum

need help on my new boat! please!

Posted By: jeepfreak

need help on my new boat! please! - 07/19/16 10:28 PM

Alright guys...anyone live near godley that knows their stuff about boats?? Just got my first boat and I need help getting it running right...it's a 91 pro deep v 17 with a 40hp evinrude...if anyone can help give me a call on my cell at 8178974431 mitch...thanks in advance!!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 02:49 AM

What do you need help with?

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 03:37 AM

Can't keep it runnin...have to hold the choke in to keep it runnin and let out so it don't flood itself..
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 04:31 PM

Try replacing the primer bulb before you do anything else.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
Try replacing the primer bulb before you do anything else.

If that doesn't fix it.....fuel filter, fuel lines, especially if they are the old rubber hoses cuz ethanol eats them up. After that comes fuel pump and carb rebuild....I just had to rebuild the 3 carbs on my 150 cuz it was acting exactly like that and the needles were sticking in the seats from crud/varnish.
Posted By: chikenfrie

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 05:43 PM

Get the old lady out there squeezing on the bulb while you run the motor, see if that helps it run. cheers
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/20/16 11:37 PM

I stopped chasing down problems. Getting stranded in a boat sucks. Find a good mechanic that you can trust. It's been cheaper for me to carry it to mine and get the correct fix and be done. Small problems I'll just run it by the shop and if he has a minute, he'll come out and check a few things and not charge. He has also saved me a ton by finding an issue that I did not know I had while he was fixing my problem. Kept me from trashing a motor already.

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/21/16 01:43 AM

Thanks for all the input guys! Gotta work tomorrow but next time I have time I'm gunna look into it...I wann try puttin on an electric fuel pump and get rid of that junk vro...my question is...how much should the psi be for this 40hp motor...they have a 2-3psi and then they have a 4-7psi...I think I read somewhere to go the 4-7?
Posted By: danwill12

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/21/16 02:11 AM

Bobby gave you some very good advice. What you do with it is of course up to you.

Re: need help on my new boat! please! - 07/21/16 03:37 AM

I agree with Bobby...but one problem is I don't think I can afford to take it to a shop...I wish I could..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum