Texas Fishing Forum

Keel guard

Posted By: bigtexnick

Keel guard - 06/26/16 08:25 PM

Mine is coming off. Half of it ripped off the bottom. I didn't hit anything (I don't think...), just wear and tear.

Are these difficult to install yourself? I think my trailer allows the entire keep exposed, so I'll just have some awkward positions sliding up underneath to do the work.

Any advice, experiences, etc would be helpful.
Posted By: squib

Re: Keel guard - 06/26/16 10:20 PM

I am replacing my Hamby's Light this weekend. Finally finished the removal of the old and the prep work. About to go back into garage and put on the new one.

My best advice is to be sure to spend plenty of time on the prep. When I pulled off my old one, there was adhesive the entire length stuck on the boat. I thought it would never come off. I finally got a plastic scrapper and some aerosol spray 3M Adhesive Remover from Autozone. GooGone wasnt hardly any help. The 3M stuff was amazing. I spent about 3 hours getting off the old adhesive and cleaning the area. I went over it multiple times with denatured alcohol after I had it fairly clean. It is now clean as a whistle. I'll let you know how the install goes from here.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum