Texas Fishing Forum

Gel Coat oxidation....

Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 01:27 PM

About to sell ol' blue.....Top cap has oxidation from losing the cover for about a year. Purchased a brand new cover last week but the oxidation still bugged me out as I want the buyer to have a boat that shines. I purchased the equipment and supplies needed to restore ol' blue. It wasn't easy and I jacked my left arm up when the machine hit the cleat at high speed and shot into my arm (ouch). (don't dig me on the christmas lights..too lazy to restring)Anyway I think I can make this a hobby and make some money on the side...thoughts?

Posted By: slim 285

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 02:05 PM

What all did you do.

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 02:21 PM

Sanded, machine compounded, machine polished and hand waxed. Alot of elbow work more than anything. But it really brought it back to show room shine.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 03:14 PM

I don't think that I can make a decision till you do mine.... roflmao

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 05:14 PM

LOL!
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 06:22 PM

Nice job pics never do them right. Did mine and now you can see every flaw in the gel sags, print through, that said it looks 2 feet deep. Lots of work that is worth it.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 07:23 PM

Looks good to me! Sure would like to either get my boat done like that!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/20/16 07:30 PM

Looks very good.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/21/16 11:27 AM

Gelcoat can be compounded and waxd for a good shine, but once it starts to lose it's "life". it's going to be a recurring process.

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 05/22/16 02:52 PM

anytime you take your boat out into the sun the "life" of your boat is going, going, gone.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 07/15/16 02:33 AM

just finished doing the cap on my 97 Skeeter and it looks great but an awful lot of wet sanding and buffing.
if one has time to do it great but other wise pay a detailer. i did use ProTec Products and hope it lasts!
will let everyone know if it was worth it n 6 mos
Posted By: chikenfrie

Re: Gel Coat oxidation.... - 07/16/16 04:34 PM

After a lot of researching compound I stumbled across marine 31 heavy cut oxidation cleaner. I ordered a bunch of this and going to put it to use with some buffers and see if the great reviews are right. I will try to remember to get before and after pictures of this when its done to post up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum