Texas Fishing Forum

Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating

Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/25/16 01:16 PM

I have a G3 1860 aluminum boat. The deck gets super hot in the summer. Been thinking about applying one of the light colored non skid marine products like Durabak or Tuff Coat. Has anyone ever used these or similar products on aluminum? Would love to hear about their durability if you have. Also, I have read a million different things on prep work. Some say prime, some say self etching prime, some say sand, some say sand blast. Thanks in advance for any tips on this.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/25/16 02:04 PM

Safe floor is the best, then there's everything else. If you're planning on keeping your boat a while, I'd be looking at that.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/25/16 02:43 PM

Safe Floor is the best, however, should you ever need to take up any of the floor to repair cracked horizontal rib repairs, that could be an issue. I had to have welds repaired on the G3 I had, but was able to access them by removing the storage bin liners from the front deck. Just think about all of the "what ifs" before you do somethin ghat might be expensive to repair or replace if need be.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/25/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Safe floor is the best, then there's everything else. If you're planning on keeping your boat a while, I'd be looking at that.

This by the time you purchase the coatings put in the prep time and finish having safe floor installed would be the same cost. I'm playing with marine coatings now on my trolling motor. The aluminum end caps with steel center Have to be Etched before any coating is applied. Not a difficult process as long as you are ok working with acid. Then come the skill of working a spray gun easy for me not so easy for a lot of people. Brushing any coating on metal is cheesey to say the least as the brush marks will always be there. If you chose to do it yourself follow all instructions from the coating manufacturer as in Etch,Prime,And apply finish.

Get the safe floor it is what I am going to do in my boat.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/25/16 03:16 PM

There's some guides here with 4-5 year old rigs, they get used 300 days a year by less than careful people, their floors look new. That convinced me.
Posted By: fishin1228

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 04/28/16 05:38 PM

Thanks Pat ... cheers Tx Tree Grower . Heres a link on TFF that shows the G3 we done a few months back . http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10667566/My_new_Crappie_rig .. it'll be the last time you ever haveta worry about that floor ..... thumb

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 06/15/16 08:33 PM

Hey Tx Tree grower what did ya decide to go with ?
Posted By: Wildkow

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 06/20/16 07:03 PM

Hope he went with the Safe-Floor it is great stuff! It's tough and easy to clean. My Champion 202 Bass & Bay has it and I love it!
47.5% White, 47.5% Grey and 5% Black

Before

After
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 06/22/16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin1228
Hey Tx Tree grower what did ya decide to go with ?

Honestly I've been so busy I have not had a chance to do anything. I'm going to try to get an appointment to get the safe floor put in. Hopefully I will have time to get it to Dallas in the next week or so. The pics you guys posted look amazing. I can only imagine how much cooler that floor is in the summer.

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 06/22/16 05:10 PM

sounds Great TX . If you need me to meet ya half way , I will . Thanks for the great words and thanks for postin the pics of your great lookin Chanpion Wildkow . It is Texas and everything will get hot when its 100 outside but all ya do is throw a little water on it and its alot cooler and it's still non-slip . you'll want all the aluminum dome just to keep it cooler smile

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 02/02/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildkow
Hope he went with the Safe-Floor it is great stuff! It's tough and easy to clean. My Champion 202 Bass & Bay has it and I love it!
47.5% White, 47.5% Grey and 5% Black

Before

After

Thanks for postin the pics Bud ..... glad your happy with it thumb
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 02/04/17 03:45 AM

I had my Wellcraft done with Safe Floor at the Pearland Shop years ago. 1/4" think, bow to stern. None of it has peeled or pulled loose. Great on the feet. Mine is the Bluish colored floor. Never go wrong with this stuff. Jacks up trade-in value too.

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 02/04/17 03:55 AM

Thank Ya V-Bottom for the great words . Its been around down there for over 25 yrs. My partner in the company had his boat down there and we decided to buy into it and bring it to north Texas ..... so far so good up here after 4 years . clap
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 02/04/17 07:17 PM

Your very welcome. I have one question. Can another layer be added to the original material? Over the years my floor has acquired some stains etc. Just want to brighten it up a bit.

Re: Aluminum Deck Non Skid Coating - 02/06/17 09:29 PM

i posted ya a reply on the other topic . but on 2nd thought it might be able to be cleaned real good and another layer of epoxy brushed on it to brighten it up . have you talked with Ed or Brandon in houston ?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum