Texas Fishing Forum

drain plug?

Posted By: jwcromer

drain plug? - 04/24/16 05:03 PM

took the drain plug out of my boat(thought I had a leak),what is the best sealant to us when I put it back in?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 05:42 PM

Did you remove the actual drain plug housing, or just the drain plug itself? Drain plugs shouldn't need any sealant. If it's a screw-in plug, there's often a captive washer involved, which is why no sealant is needed.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 07:59 PM

removed the housing
Posted By: T Bird

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 08:17 PM

Marine "below water line" clear silicone.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 09:07 PM

I have had best luck with 3M 4200 marine sealant.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 09:12 PM

Academy sells "marine silicone" in a toothpaste like tube, but says not for below waterline use. It's not easy to find some that actually does. (Apparently the manufacturers don't like to say for below waterline due to legal concerns.) Don't use 3M 5200 Marine Sealant - it's just too much, very messy, and can pull gelcoat off if you ever need to remove the part again.

Unless you keep the boat in the water a LOT, I believe the above marine silicone will suffice. I've used it and it has shown to be VERY durable. Did you pull the part because you thought water was leaking around it? If so, next time, check that theory by putting water in the boat with the drain plugged while it's on the trailer, then watch for a drip outside the boat. Doing this makes the leak go in reverse so that you can isolate its source.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: drain plug? - 04/24/16 11:59 PM

There are few applications that any type or grade of silicon is suitable for. 3M 4200 is a sealant, adhesive, and can be easily removed if you ever need to reseal. Also, when removed, silicon leaves a residue that nothing will adhere to including more silicon. All in all, it's some really awful stuff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum