Texas Fishing Forum

Nitro boats

Posted By: R.Baker

Nitro boats - 04/12/16 02:20 AM

I am looking at buying a used Nitro bay boat to use at Port Mansfield, TX. Anyone familiar with Nitro bay boats or have an opinion about running the shallows of Port Mansfield with it?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Nitro boats - 04/12/16 04:13 AM

They are built by Kenner. Ride nice but I sure wouldn't want one for running around Mansfield. They draw way too much water.

Re: Nitro boats - 04/13/16 01:43 AM

That's what I was thinking Pat, thanks. I will only fish Mansfield once or twice a year mainly down at the saucer and the east cut, the rest of the year will be freshwater. I wonder if a jack plate will make that much of a difference for the shallow bays? It has a trolling motor on it, maybe that will help get me back behind the ole speck rig at the east cut.

Re: Nitro boats - 04/13/16 02:00 PM

What size hull?
Tunnel or no?
What motor?
I sold and rigged a fleet of nitro bay boats, and can make them run fairly shallow, but it takes some specific equipment.

Re: Nitro boats - 04/14/16 05:26 PM

17.8 ft, no tunnel with a 90 mercy saltwater edition. No jack plate

Re: Nitro boats - 04/14/16 10:39 PM

Put a 4" bobs hydraulic plate and get with Steve on a four blade 17 power tech prop and you'll get a lot more use out of it. The transom is way too low on that hull.

Re: Nitro boats - 04/15/16 03:23 AM

Pat while I was looking at that boat I was wondering just how high I could lift that motor? Looks to me like when the motor gets higher its gonna be behind the transom, since the boats not a tunnel, and Im gonna lose power?

Re: Nitro boats - 04/15/16 05:06 AM

You need to look at prop shaft in relation to the bottom of the hull. With the right prop that will be about 3 1/2" which is way higher than tracker mounts it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum