Texas Fishing Forum

Hull fiberglass work

Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 01:50 PM

generic question here, maybe you guys can help me out with it. I recently was given an awesome older skeeter boat, and I'm wanting to do what little clean up/repair it needs. The hull has some gouging in the keel, and needs some fiberglass repair. I'm wondering if boat fiberglass work is any different than automotive fiberglass repair. I've been in the autobody repair business for sometime, but have no clue if boat repairs are different or not. A good friend of mine is a body man, and I'm wanting him to help me out with repairing the keel.. again, unsure if it requires anything special since its in the water.

Anyone know any particulars?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 03:56 PM

gel coat
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
gel coat

This, unless it's a really deep gouge. Might consider putting one of those keel protectors on it to cover all that.

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 05:33 PM

its a decent gouge, not sure if there is a keel protector made to fit this old of a boat, though.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 05:51 PM

Make a keel protector with bed liner.
Just tape off the size you want and spray it on. I have one on an aluminum boat I did myself and it is great.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 06:05 PM

Keel Guards will fit any boat... age doesnt matter. Doing marine fiberglass is the same as what you've done on automotive, just upside down. I became an expert with my first Skeeter, key is to make the patch a few layers thick for strength. Post a pic of it.

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 06:22 PM

I'll grab a picture this evening when I get home and post it up.

Like the idea of spray bedliner as a keel protector.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 07:14 PM

Hey ROF just a thought have you concidered using a polyeurathane enamal instead of gel coat. Just saying that it does not chalk, fade, and is very easy to care for. Lots of coatings out there for it. The only reason Gelcoat is used in boatbuilding is that it will release from a mold where a product like Dupont Imron will not. Tried to ask ya a paint question on this matter in the OT that said got put on right track by Rick S. I'm painting my trolling motor using 2 part epoxy primer then 2 part polyurathane top coat.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 07:57 PM

Marine Tex is your friend. It will fix small chips and chunks missing in the gel coat.

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 09:32 PM

Just read about marine Tex in the OT. Going to try and find some local, and make the repair. Sounds like it should work. Not as much worried about finish, as I am about any further deterioration of the fiberglass due to water getting in there.

Greatly appreciate the feedback, everyone.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Hull fiberglass work - 04/04/16 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®
Just read about marine Tex in the OT. Going to try and find some local, and make the repair. Sounds like it should work. Not as much worried about finish, as I am about any further deterioration of the fiberglass due to water getting in there.

Greatly appreciate the feedback, everyone.

Well, if it was posted in the OT, maybe we should reconsider using it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum