Texas Fishing Forum

I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in the water

Posted By: Coach Hark

I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in the water - 03/25/16 11:06 PM

What are your thoughts and advice on this situation? The owner won the boat in a tournament and has never used the boat. Deal or no deal?
Posted By: redmojo

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:08 PM

Price? Type of boat? Get it inspected and take it on the water for a test drive. Find it hard to believe someone never touched a boat in 17 years but crazy things happen all the time.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:12 PM

I find it hard to believe too. I'm going to see the boat tomorrow and the owner swears it's never been in water which is kind of scary. But, to get a brand new 17 year old boat would be cool. I'd rather not post he brand and engine in case I want it and miss out. Both are brand names and held in high respects in boats and engines. Not to be a prick but just wanting advice on what to check and what not.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:15 PM

Fair enough, good luck!

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:19 PM

I'm just looking for what to look for and get inspected and checked out by a mechanic. What worries should I have and things like that. I'm not trying to be a prick about it just wondering what others would look at in this purchase?
Posted By: MARKIT

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:24 PM

I have my eyes on a boat down the street that I have never seen out of the garage in 10 years,

Has it been covered, or under a cedar tree for 17 years?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/25/16 11:25 PM

If it has fuel in it go ahead and plan on rebuilding the entire fuel system. Going to need new tires, batteries, motor could be froze (doubtful though).

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:00 AM

If it looks good and you can test drive it and want to move forward take it to a marine shop and spend a couple hundred dollars to get it throughly inspected. It may be hard to even get started to be honest.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:19 AM

I would simply ask the seller if he's willing to take the boat to a reputable dealer for a buyers inspection on your dime. I would gladly pay a couple of hundred to save thousands on an unknown issue.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
I would simply ask the seller if he's willing to take the boat to a reputable dealer for a buyers inspection on your dime. I would gladly pay a couple of hundred to save thousands on an unknown issue.
+1 thumb

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:26 AM

Yep

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:48 AM

Thanks for info men. My main concern is the fuel injectors probably have gummed up. I'm planning on taking it to a boat mechanic before any transaction takes place.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: MARKIT
I have my eyes on a boat down the street that I have never seen out of the garage in 10 years,

Has it been covered, or under a cedar tree for 17 years?

Stored in the garage says the seller.
Posted By: Scott A.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 01:08 AM

I seen the boat also and thought wow!
I think it is a carb motor though
Posted By: BigBassJake

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 01:49 AM

I wouldn't try to run it until a mechanic went thru it. Everything from the impeller on the water pump to the throttle cable might be bad. Dirt dobbers could be living in the carbs. It would be pretty sweet tho...

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 03:14 AM

Update us after you check it out.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 03:21 AM

I wanna see pics of this boat.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
I wanna see pics of this boat.

X2

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 03:26 AM

For sure pics.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 04:35 AM

Buy it with the intention of rebuilding the engine.

As stated. DO NOT CRANK ENGINE!!

Rotten impeller or dobber dirt would crater engine.
Posted By: Kidde

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 11:48 AM

Boats that just sit end up costing us more than boats that get used.
Posted By: CDF

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 06:15 PM

I'm a mechanic and bought an airplane that sat in a hanger for 27 years. The motor and airframe checked out fine and I got it for a good price. After 10 hrs I had to replace all 4 cylinders on the engine. So I agree with the previous post that say buy it with the intention of rebuilding the motor. The boat should be fine but battery's,fuel tank,fuel lines,and engine WILL need some attention Good Luck
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBassJake
I wouldn't try to run it until a mechanic went thru it. Everything from the impeller on the water pump to the throttle cable might be bad. Dirt dobbers could be living in the carbs. It would be pretty sweet tho...

This, I would not even attempt to crank it on the water. Take it to reputable mechanic first and let them start it after checking it out.
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 09:20 PM

put fresh gas and oil new batt and fire her up, prob need new tires also.you should get it at a great price!
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/26/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Art Texas
put fresh gas and oil new batt and fire her up, prob need new tires also.you should get it at a great price!

Don't do this

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 03:45 AM

Thanks for the advice men. Exactly what I w,as looking for.
Posted By: Basscat496

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 05:05 AM

Let us know how it turns out!! Post pics!!
Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 05:19 PM

Really interested to hear the details when you find out more. If it's true and you get a good price it could end up being an awesome deal.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 08:34 PM

Going back Wednesday to try and seal the deal. If it goes through il post pics.
Thanks fo all the advice.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Kidde
Boats that just sit end up costing us more than boats that get used.

Run the other way...sounds like a money pit waiting to happen. fish
Posted By: 361V

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/27/16 08:51 PM

When something seams to good to be true it probably is. But only "probably". Lottery tickets would not sell if they never paid off! Stranger things have happened. Get it checked out and started by a reputable mechanic. Small investment on the "deal of the century". Good luck!

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 04:06 AM

The motors already been checked and the seller is a great dude and giving me time with boat. Let's just say he doesn't need the money and I've never got the deal of the century. I'm like most other dudes that fish, I just want to fish and have a reliable boat. If it works out it works out, if it doesn't, it won't the first failure of my life!
Posted By: 01Lightning

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 04:11 AM

Hope that champion works out for you
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 12:53 PM

I sure wouldn't give a ton of money for the setup. If its PRISTINE, I would deduct for a motor rebuild. I can promise one thing. If the boat has not been ran in 16+ years, you will have motor issues. More than likely ring issues and crank bearings. I would not fire the motor up. Pull the heads off and check the cylinder walls and rings. Crank bearings will be another issue. You cant let these old 2 strokes sit like that. If the boat is worth 12k or whatever the asking price may be, I would deduct for a new motor. So I wouldn't pay more than 5k......
Posted By: cde21

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 03:07 PM

I saw the boat as well. Boat looks to be in perfect shape and the guy seems to take care of his stuff, just from his pics. But why would he have a newer humminbird graph on it if he's never taken it out on the water? I'm sure you'll be able to tell right off the bat whether it has been in the lake or not, but that just strikes me as odd.
Posted By: mstring

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 04:54 PM

Don't forget to check things like the livewell and bilge pump plumbing. Those dry rot too.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 06:27 PM

Looks like a nice boat. I bought one similar to this situation on the East Coast several years ago. AS people mentioned, just have it gone through very closely and get seals and all fixed beforehand so as not to create a issue down the road
Posted By: cleve

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/29/16 09:28 PM

Did you buy it?

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/31/16 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: cleve
Did you buy it?

In the process. Working out some details.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/31/16 02:32 AM

Well what is the boat ? A champ? Nice.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/31/16 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
Well what is the boat ? A champ? Nice.

Yessir, a Mean 16 with a 115 horse Merc. Seller is a great guy, not sure if he's on TFF or not.
Posted By: hookset86

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 03/31/16 03:42 AM

I bought a boat that sat for 7 years and had hardly been used prior so I though man hear deal justv found out that it wasn't now I have a locked up pile of junk sitting behind the boat

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/01/16 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: hookset86
I bought a boat that sat for 7 years and had hardly been used prior so I though man hear deal justv found out that it wasn't now I have a locked up pile of junk sitting behind the boat

Thanks for the well wishes sir. I was trying to decipher your post, I think you had a bad experience with a boat?The last boat I owned sat for 15 years. It was a 1988 19ft Nitro with a 1988 175 Mercury Black Max. It would haul azz at about 72mph. I had it for 3 years and sold it about a year ago. Current owner hasn't had a problem. But, I may have a pile of junk n the end of this boat. If it is I reckon I'll buy a motor for thr boat.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/01/16 01:28 PM

Pull the plugs and use a scope to look into the cylinders. If they are all rusted, plan on a rebuild. If the cylinders look good, spin it by hand, if she spins freely, squirt some oil in each cylinder and continue to spin by hand. re-install new plugs AFTER all the oil is out of the cylinders (oil will exit the spark plug holes and ports).Clean and inspect fuel system and add fresh fuel and oil, or use a portable tank. Pull LU, or change water pump and new impeller. stick the water hose to it and light it off.

Gman

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/04/16 02:52 AM

Ran like a top today. Smooth little Champion.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/04/16 03:39 AM

pics?
Posted By: Scott A.

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/04/16 12:22 PM

I bet it is a sweet boat, just too small for me.
I just bought a pretty clean '98 Champion 181

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/04/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Grenadaslabs
pics?

PM me your number and I will text them to you. I can't get them to load.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/05/16 02:36 AM

That motor is bullet proof for the most part......I own 1997 version of it that is stronger than the day it was made...run the hell out of it....I do mine.....I'd take the oil injection off and premix though
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/05/16 10:11 PM

Make an offer via written contract contingent on an inspection and lake test to your satisfaction. Sometimes used and well maintained trumps never used. I don't think the motor would be an issue. it probably still has the factory lube.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/10/16 02:23 AM

The motor blow?

Re: I'm looking at a 1999 boat and motor that has never been in he water - 04/11/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
The motor blow?

It blows the 150hp out of the hole is the only thing it's blowing after 4 trips in 7 days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum