Texas Fishing Forum

Getting on plane

Posted By: Rutster

Getting on plane - 02/24/16 02:10 AM

I just got a 2005 champion 203 with a 225 optimax. It doesnt explode out of the hole like i think it should. I have messed with the hydraulic jack plate some to find the optimum depth for it but still doesnt jump out of hole. My next trick is going to be pulling out one or more of the rubber plugs on the prop which i believe is a 25p fury prop. Do you think this will help? I also noticed i was only turning about 5200 rpm at WOT and about 63-65 mph.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 02:42 AM

Is this boat new to you? Or is this something new that's happening?
203 is usually a quick holeshot with a 25, but you sure should be able to turn it more than 5,200.

You might be running on five cylinders, that would be the symptoms.
Posted By: Rutster

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 03:06 AM

boat is new to me...had it out 4-5 times. I played with jackplate a little. never jumped out of hole its just slow and steady and not same every time.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 02:01 PM

do a compression check and see if the numbers are the same as when you bought the boat
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 02:46 PM

Ok, we're getting a little deeper here.
First, get that motor checked out, that motor on that hull at full throttle/full trim should be running at least 5,600 rpms. Typically we setup for top speed, then adjust for holeshot as needed.

I like the tempest better than fury, but it's not the worst choice.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 03:15 PM

Very possible that you have a bad ignition coil as this year is known for coil problems.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Getting on plane - 02/24/16 03:16 PM

my opinion... after you check the motor out.

1) set the prop shaft height at 3.5" below pad and leave the plate alone.. test it and make small adjustments
as needed.. stop the boat the move the plate and re test,etc
2) if that is a fury, they come from mercury with no plugs in the barrel. if it has plugs remove them all.

when your doing hole shots and testing... be sure to look at the "flash" rpms. when you nail the throttle the engine
rpms will go to ??? .. it helps to know what it's doing.

also.. what setback is the jack plate? 8 to 10 inch setback is good on the 203's 8" is best.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum