Texas Fishing Forum

1996 225 efi

Posted By: Chris_K

1996 225 efi - 02/20/16 06:35 PM

Idles a little rough. Hard to restart without advancing throttle when starting. Motor overall seems weak and doesn't seem to rev as I think it should(tach is broken so no proof). Today while on plane it just died, no warning, no horns. After waiting a bit it would crank and fumble around for a second and die again. And wouldn't crank again unless you gave it some time..then it would do the same fumbling for a split second and die again. Seems fuel was coming out of exhaust. Compression is good but then I notice this when pulling plugs all plugs were nice and brown except #5 which was a little white with no signs of fuel on it. Lastly which may be related, outboard isn't charging my starting battery so I may have an alternator/stator issue. I will say I have it at a shop, but wanted to know what y'all think. Thanks in advance
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 1996 225 efi - 02/21/16 08:07 AM

Think its going to cost a bunch of money. You most likely have a serious problem on #5 cylinder, serious fuel system issues, and a bad alternator.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: 1996 225 efi - 02/21/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Think its going to cost a bunch of money. You most likely have a serious problem on #5 cylinder, serious fuel system issues, and a bad alternator.

Thanks for the info. I don't think it will be as bad(for me).. This was the first run(first 10 mins) after new tested and flowed injectors were put in. Surely they'll fix it as it has to be related. I do need to replace the alternator. One question I do have is what could be seriously wrong with #5 if the compression is still good? Thanks in advance.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum