Texas Fishing Forum

Sealing MinnKota lower unit?

Posted By: TexasPescado

Sealing MinnKota lower unit? - 02/17/16 08:22 PM

I'm going to be replacing the armature, brushes, brush housing, bearings and gaskets on my Maxxum 70. I've got all the old parts removed and the inside of the armature housing and cone cleaned up and put new terminals on the pos & neg wires. I noticed when I took everything apart it didn't look like there was any kind of gasket sealant used, just the gaskets themselves. One of which was just a paper gasket. Is it recommended to use any kind of gasket sealant in addition to the gaskets when I reinstall this thing? I want to be sure and seal it up good to keep all the water out.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Sealing MinnKota lower unit? - 02/18/16 01:47 AM

I use a light coat of liquid Teflon for added insurance.
Posted By: TexasPescado

Re: Sealing MinnKota lower unit? - 02/18/16 10:23 PM

Another question...There was a paper spacer looking thing at bottom of the brush plate. Does this serve a purpose other than to keep the brushes spread out when installing the armature? MinnKota had that one part on backorder so I wasn't able to get it. Other than that I've got everything needed to rebuild the lower unit.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Sealing MinnKota lower unit? - 02/19/16 01:39 PM

Minn Kota recommends no sealant of any kind.
the paper spacer's only purpose is to assist in the instal of the armature.

don't over torque the thru bolts.

also.. be sure to use heat shrink on the terminal connectors! NO ELECTRICAL TAPE anywhere on a trolling motor
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum