Texas Fishing Forum

Motor rebuild worth it?

Posted By: eagle19

Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 08:22 AM

I think I'm going to pick an older alumacraft side console for $700. But the 90hp evinrude/johnson on it has burned up pistons. If the block is still in good shape I'll hone it and rebuild it with new pistons. But if the block needs to be bore'd out, I would be looking at $700ish rebuilding it. Do you think it would be worth it or just buy another motor to put on it?

My goal is to trick out the boat and sell it, the rebuild could be a selling point but I think it could hurt it too.
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 11:17 AM

Check out maxrules.com for parts. They are the cheapest for a complete powerhead kit. Couple of months ago I was going to do the Bore out a merc.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 12:31 PM

Put one of these on it

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/engines/60-efi-formularace/

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 03:45 PM

I actually found a place with pistons and rings for $60 a piece and a kit for $700. Cheaper than that place, only problem is I don't remember what website it was on.

That merc would be awesome but I think it would be a little more than I'd want to spend. Haha
Posted By: Cat finder

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 04:27 PM

What year is your motor? The powerhead kit comes with all you would need gaskets, pistons rings, and so on.

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/07/16 08:43 PM

All I know is 1981-98 is when they made the motor. Don't know what actual year it is, the guy is trying to find the titles so he can tell me an exact date. I'm going to buy it all from him next weekend.

So it's a 1981-98 v4 90hp Johnson/evinrude/omc. I few forums I read said they were pretty solid motors.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/08/16 06:05 PM

Quote:
the guy is trying to find the titles

if you buy something without ALL titles you are asking for lots of problems........
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/08/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kingdad101
Quote:
the guy is trying to find the titles

if you buy something without ALL titles you are asking for lots of problems........

true statement!!

Re: Motor rebuild worth it? - 02/09/16 01:32 AM

No the guy has them, he is building a house right now and has all his stuff in storage so he's got to figure out which box it's in. He's got titles for boat and motor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum