Texas Fishing Forum

2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question

Posted By: Skiffboat

2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/10/16 10:24 PM

Im getting 12.6 volts positve and negative to the tilt motor, sometines the notor decides to work sometimes it doesnt. Before I start tearing this thing apart im wondering if it can be anything else besides the tilt motor. Not really looking forward to driving the tilt pin out with a hammer and heat since its seezed up. Thanks
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: 2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/10/16 11:07 PM

Are you getting the voltage at the motor when the tilt isnt working?...if so it is probably the motor...if not it could be a sticking relay switch...I had one recently that the up tilt would sometime work and sometimes wouldnt...finally when it wouldnt work was able to figure out/troulshoot and figure out it was the relay..hope that helps and good luck...
Posted By: Skiffboat

Re: 2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/11/16 06:22 PM

Where is the relay located? I was checking the voltage at the tilt motor . Just hoping its something easier than pulling the tilt off the boat motor. Its been in salt water since its new and im sure the pin wont be easy to get out
Posted By: rlfisher

Re: 2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/11/16 09:02 PM

Had a 150 do the same thing there are two square relays on top of motor one goes up the other goes down doesn't matter which one they are the same just works different if it does it again. Switch the relays around both have to be plug in if it works one of the relays or bad not to bad on price I changed both of mine but all u have to change is the bad one
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: 2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/11/16 11:46 PM

For your particular motor I am not sure, I am not familiar with that model outboard ...the way I would locate it is to trace the wiring from your tilt trim switch the wires will go to the relay then from the relay to the tilt motor....they are usually a square or round plug-in part that as the previous post mentioned can be used for either the up or down tilt....if you have or can find a schematic of your electrical wiring for your year model you can identify more accurately where they are located on your motor..hope that helps..
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: 2000 johnson 40hp tilt and trim question - 01/12/16 02:16 PM

If you are getting 12v + on one lead and negative on the other lead at the motor and it doesn't work then the motor is bad.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum