Texas Fishing Forum

Boat will NOT get on pad

Posted By: team hooti josh

Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 02:39 PM

I have a nitro 591 with a merc optimax. If I'm by myself with no water in livewells it's ok getting on pad but not great. Add a co-angler full livewells you can literally just plow water and it will never break over. Luckily my buddies are cool with standing on the front deck to get the thing to break over and get on pad. I don't know if it's a prop issue or what. I need help with this one bad. Any ideas or good places to take it? I live in Arlington. Thanks guys!

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 02:54 PM

I am running a tempest 24 with no jack plate the boat is an 07
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 03:06 PM

Try experimenting with your the prop ventilation plug configuration.

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 05:35 PM

I have messed with those it doesn't do anything but blow out and rev up. I think I need a professional to look at it
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 07:21 PM

Nitro's are notorious for being underpowered. What horsepower are you running, rpm when you can get to wide open throttle? Just saw you are running a Tempest 24 you may need to drop to a 23.

Contact Steve he can make some recommendations. i.e. jackplate, prop, or just a prop rework.

I just had a jackplate put on my Triton as well as they reworked my prop adding cup and edging the blades. Mine liked like a 2x4. Hope this weather clears up, man I can't wait to get it out now.

BTW they are closed until Jan 4th for the holidays.

http://www.stevescustomprops.com/

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 08:06 PM

It's a 150. Rpm at wot is around 5600 when on pad. Getting on pad though it just drags around 2800-3000 rpm

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 08:27 PM

Yea I'm running a 23 Tempest Plus. I've never had a problem getting my Triton on pad, it is a 18.6ft dual console with a 150 xr6. Top end was 60 at wot. I put the jackplate on for some improved performance as well as I've wanted one since I bought it. I would still recommend talking to Steve and Josh though and you may consider a jackplate too.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 09:33 PM

Has this boat done this since new or has it just recently started this issue?

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 10:16 PM

It's started getting progressively worse over the last year or so. It's really noticeable in the warmer water. I tried a 23 this summer and still couldn't tell a difference.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 11:28 PM

Make sure motor isn't mounted too low. When I first got my 97 Nitro 800 I had a similar problem. My boat would go into a violent chine walk at around fifty mph. Turned out motor was mounted to low. Kind of hard to imagine it wouldn't be rigged right all this time....but I guess it's possible. Different boat lengths and weights makes prop selection tricky. My boat performs awesome with a 21 pitch Mercury Revolution 4. Most of the lakes I frequent are from 3200- 6220 feet elevation. It ran pretty quick at Lake Fork this past spring around 64MPH. Good luck! Hope you figure it out
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/27/15 11:57 PM

You need to have someone check out the complete fuel system and ignition system. Have had several of these Optimax motors act like yours when a coil is going bad but I have also seen this when fuel pump is getting weak.

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/28/15 02:17 AM

I would defiantly do what Gary says also if you haven't then do a de-carb and tune up. I put a can of Seafoam for every 16 gal of fuel I put in my boat every time. You can't trust the fuels we are getting these days.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/28/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
You need to have someone check out the complete fuel system and ignition system. Have had several of these Optimax motors act like yours when a coil is going bad but I have also seen this when fuel pump is getting weak.

This^^^^^I had similar issues and had a bad fuel pump. On another rig my stator needed replacing....would barely plane boat off. Good luck!
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/28/15 12:23 PM

Has you boat gained weight over the last few years? Extra gear maybe? Any water intrusion? I have to assume an 07 Nitro has wood construction? Just something to think about if you don't think its a motor issue.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/28/15 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: team hooti josh
It's a 150. Rpm at wot is around 5600 when on pad. Getting on pad though it just drags around 2800-3000 rpm

You say the boat started this and has gotten progressively worse over the past year. When it wasn't having an issue, what was your RPM once on pad? What's the recommended max RPM range for your engine? (Remember, lower than recommended at max is not a good thing - it assures the boat is strained and poor performing.)

Has the prop been changed? Do you recall any solid obstruction hits with the prop?

Have you ever changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, or done any of the other proper maintenance on the engine?

On the spark plugs, if they've been changed, was the EXACT recommended plug used? Has anyone with expertise pulled the plugs to look for signs of a dead/misfiring cylinder?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/28/15 03:36 PM

After reading your original post again I noticed you are filling your livewell`s all the way up. This has been talked about a lot on Nitro`s. Fill halfway and put livewell control on recirculate.
Posted By: twelvegaugetony

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 12/31/15 01:00 AM

Compression test first. Goodluck
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 01/01/16 11:57 PM

Too much prop and you need a jack and proper setup
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 01/04/16 04:25 PM

5600 is about the right rpms at w.o.t.

2600 is not high enough on the "flash" rpm to take off.

just my opinion.. if you want to set it up...

6" plate.
have Josh tune the prop.

that will help a ton.
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: Boat will NOT get on pad - 01/11/16 02:38 AM

After reading your post that its getting progressivly worse kinda leads me to believe you have a coil breaking down or possibly the exhaust is carboning up and not letting the motor breathe considering you haven't went to a bigger prop or added more weight to the boat. Leaving a boat out in the weather as much as it has rained will sometimes add weight. I have seen several times when the foam the manufactor sprays in there will get water logged.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum