Texas Fishing Forum

12v parallel system on my trolling motor.

Posted By: Basshead21

12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 01:36 PM

I have this set up on my boat. I would like to go to a 24v system, does anyone know if you can convert over. My plug is set up for 24 volts all I need is to get 24v to the plug. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: BODA

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 01:53 PM

pretty simple stuff, still just 2 wires to the trolling motor

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 02:18 PM

Thanks. My plug as two negative wires and two positive going back to the two batteries. So you would just disconnect one of the postive and a negative and add the jumper wire.
Posted By: BODA

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 04:19 PM

yup, my 24V trolling motor just has 2 wires, so I would say yes, just mess with the batteries ans put a meter on the outlet plug

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 05:17 PM

Thanks BODA. I am going to fuse the postive with a 40amp fuse. Can't wait to get more power with 24 volt system.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/18/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Basshead21
Thanks. My plug as two negative wires and two positive going back to the two batteries. So you would just disconnect one of the positive and a negative and add the jumper wire.

when I did mine I just ran both on the same terminal, two on Pos and two on Neg.....(example=12-gauge copper wire has less resistance than 14-gauge) ..might not make a lot of difference but I did it anyway...

if I remember right you have to take out the switch/jumper in the plug for 12 or 24..
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 11/20/15 10:07 PM

Thanks BODA. I am going to fuse the postive with a 40amp fuse. Can't wait to get more power with 24 volt system.

Fuse it with whatever size the installation instructions say to use.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 02/08/16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: kingdad101
Thanks. My plug as two negative wires and two positive going back to the two batteries. So you would just disconnect one of the positive and a negative and add the jumper wire.

when I did mine I just ran both on the same terminal, two on Pos and two on Neg.....(example=12-gauge copper wire has less resistance than 14-gauge) ..might not make a lot of difference but I did it anyway...

if I remember right you have to take out the switch/jumper in the plug for 12 or 24..

this ^^^^^, 24v the full length of the wiring will create heat, a 12-24v plug changes it there at the plug so it is just 12v up to it.

hook both wires together and use as one, this will lessen the load they have to carry and drop the heat.
Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: 12v parallel system on my trolling motor. - 02/08/16 11:50 PM

You could also switch to a ranger style plug where the wires are jumpered together at the plug to give you 24 V. Easier and cheaper to buy the two plugs and start screwing with wiring and terminations.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum