Texas Fishing Forum

Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston

Posted By: cf5757

Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/11/15 09:21 PM

I recently moved to the west Houston area from Colorado. I have a 17' deep v G3 Angler aluminum 115 hp walk through. Great on the mountain lakes where cold water and wind chop were constants. I have had it out on a couple of lakes in this area chasing bass.

Question is would this boat be safe for a run down the ICW and fishing near the jetties, or in the bays? I draft about 18"loaded out. I know the trailer is not "salt" worthy but any issues I am missing here?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/11/15 09:40 PM

You will be fine in the lanes that have traffic and have been dredged. The flats in the bays may be another story depending on how you catch the tide. You can find yourself in 6-8" of water. The tide tables are your friend here as well as a NOAA chart for the area you are in, at least until ou find your way around. There are many instances of a guy getting grounded on a sand bar or oyster reek and having to wait for the next high tide to get back.
If you are running a Humminbird FF and a Lakemaster chip, you can use the depth offset to make the FF display the true depth of the water you are in.
If you are going to stay in the area for a while, it would be worthwhile to try to hook up with some guys who know the bays for a couple of trips.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/11/15 10:08 PM

Galvanized trailer? If not, I would not do it.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/11/15 10:31 PM

Like mentioned a painted trailer will die a quick and miserable life after you dunk it in saltwater, you can wash it all you want, won't matter, it'll be a goner.

The rest of the boat will need to be salt-proofed, all your nice electrical connections with the unsealed butt connectors will fail, especially your bilge and livewell pumps.

Then there's the nice carpet...say goodbye, it'll gasp its last breath in a couple of months.

Look at a real saltwater boat, it's what's not there as much as what is there, and how it's rigged.
Posted By: cf5757

Re: Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/11/15 11:37 PM

Thanks for the insights. I think we will just leave this as a freshwater boat.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Will my 17' deep v handle the bays? Matagorda, galveston - 11/12/15 09:54 PM

When I was a lot younger my dad and I would go to Port Aransas King Fishing. He use to make me WD-40 everything on the boat before we left. It was an inboard outboard. Had to change out the starter every year. Got real good at it. We always stopped in Waco and ran up and down the Brazos for an hour on the way back, get home and WD-40 that thing again. Gee I hate King fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum