Texas Fishing Forum

Lower unit leaking oil or fluid??

Posted By: 4976sc

Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 12:45 AM

I found a small puddle of fluid or oil right below my motors lower unit today. It's definitely not water but was a golden transparent color so it's good and clear. There was a little dribble that appeared to be coming out of the oil level plug and a little bit in the bottom of the grill part that you take off to put gear oil in the lower unit. Does anyone know why it's doing this or what's causing it to seep out. And wil it hurt anything to run the motor. Again it's not just pouring out but just a little has seeped so far. Its a 08 Yamaha vmax 225. Thanks
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 12:52 AM

Take your lower unit drain plug out. If the oil is milky looking there is water in it. Do not use your boat until you get it fixed
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 12:55 AM

There is a rubber oil ring on the drain plug. They do go bad ever once in awhile. I have always changed mine ever few years
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 01:01 AM

Check the trim cylinder, power steering, and under the cowling. Make sure it isn't oil from the engine or hydraulic fluid.
Posted By: hoghead2007

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 01:04 AM

You could have a bent prop shaft also if it is leaking
Posted By: txwhitetail

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 01:04 AM

Check lower unit for milky looking fluid will answer your question if you have had it on the water.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 01:55 PM

Yamahas use gaskets on their drain plugs. If they are leaking just drain the l/u and refill and use new gaskets.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 11/05/15 02:27 PM

I plugs may not be tight. Look at the lower oil to see if the leaking oil is the same. Loosen the bottom plug just enough to get a drop. Like already said if milky get it fixed.
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 12/23/15 03:05 AM

The color of the oil you described is power trim fluid. Most lickly leaking around the trim cylinder and will need to be resealed. Work the trim up and down and watch around the tilt and trim cylinders.
Posted By: LOSTTEXAN

Re: Lower unit leaking oil or fluid?? - 12/23/15 05:41 AM

There has also been an increase in leaks from the o-rings that seal the pump housing to the cylinder housing assembly in recent years.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum