Texas Fishing Forum

for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows

Posted By: johnathonmharding

for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 02:59 PM

1998 mercury 200 efi changed empeller and housing and water pump assembly plate and thermostats cleaned out lines and flush motor b4 i did i wasnt peeing very much and over heatin, now im peeing a lil bit more but not over heating and rpms stay about a 1000 any suggestiins?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 07:18 PM

The poppet valve should be checked and cleaned too. I don`t understand your ? Motor should idle in gear in the lake at 6-700rpm`s. On a cuff it will idle 900-1000rpm. These Mercury`s are a low pressure cooling system.

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 07:39 PM

Is it alright if thw water that its peeing out can boil an egg lol? I knw its running threw the engine b4 it comes out but gahlee
Posted By: TLW

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 09:58 PM

ya doin' all this on tha hose?.. gettin' an overheat alarm?.. pressure gauge?.. hose will not tell ya much other than ya have water and basically got it back together... ya gotta put it in tha water ta really find out if ya did good!

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 10:29 PM

I did it at the lake.

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/01/15 10:56 PM

water pressure? no alarm?

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 01:36 AM

No water pressure gauge i got alarm b4 i changed everything out but not now

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 09:22 AM

sounds like ya probably got it.. knowing tha alarm is working is a plus and usually sufficient but tha only way ta get good information with an unknown and/or "suspect" heating problem is with a heat gun and water pressure gauge..

as for tha idle it can be a coupla things.. is it hard ta shift in and outta gear?

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 09:48 AM

Yessir i got it preciate it! I think i was just cautious after i replaced impeller but thermostats open at 143 thats what the motor was averaging on the gun the water peeing out was same as motor

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 09:49 AM

Yessir i got it preciate it! I think i was just cautious after i replaced impeller but thermostats open at 143 thats what the motor was averaging on the gun the water peeing out was same as motor as for the gearing i just gotta adjust my tension i rekon its going into gear just not engaging all the way i thunk i was couple degrees off when i put it back together

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: johnathonmharding
just not engaging all the way i thunk i was couple degrees off when i put it back together

this usually can be taken care of with tha "barrel nut" if clutch dogs are good.. if tha spline alignment is off it will only go into two of tha three gears... something you will notice right off when ya put tha slide and 7/16 nut back together.

got a manual?.. if not I have a pdf with your motor in it i think..

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 03:35 PM

I got a book with part numbers but no manual.

Re: for mercury mechanics or anyone that knows - 10/02/15 06:23 PM

send me an email address....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum