Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ?

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 08:55 PM

Early morning launches are starting to get 'a little harder' as the dang body is getting older and its harder for me at least, to see some of the narrow boat launches....full daylight....no problem.
Any after market kits? Expensive? Worth while?
Thanks in advance...
God Bless
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 09:00 PM

Very worthwhile. My Skeeter trailer came with them. If I didn't already have them, I would look into adding them.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 09:18 PM

I looked into it. I couldn't find the lights I wanted that would look good, so I aborted the mission.

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 09:24 PM

Dang, with all the LED lighting that is available now, thought many of ya'll would have found them and, hopefully some had installed them.
Shoot a monkey....well, will keep looking
thanks
God Bless
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 09:56 PM

my son put some on his truck that he bought off of Amazon. Looks like he has stadium lighting when backing up (wired them into his backup lights). Will put some on the trailer next, there are times we don't use his truck to pull the boat.

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 11:00 PM

Thanks ...I knew someone had to have done this. Will you get him to share where on Amazon and what ?
thanks pardner...
God Bless
Posted By: moto382

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/28/15 11:18 PM

Bluewater LED has them they are awesome! I have them on my trailer to 10-15 min to install
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:00 AM

Ok my one stupid question for today: How do you connect them to the Back Up light only? So they don't connect to the running lights or turn lights (on/off/on/off LOL) or brake lights (On when you step on the brake. (Guys on the road love that!)

Well never mind! I found the Infinite Wisdom of GOOGLE! LOL
http://www.etrailer.com/question-54883.html
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:05 AM

Hook them to your reverse lights Ron. For duck boats, I have seen people use the flood cubes. Wouldn't be a problem on a bassboat. If you have room, you could mount flush mount led flood lights.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:20 AM

I have the blue water LEDs I just spliced them into the backup lights work pretty good also nice when loading the boat in the dark looks like a runway when I load the boat
Posted By: BigRM

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:52 AM

I used these...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLLW3AM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01 can't beat them for the price.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Dang, with all the LED lighting that is available now, thought many of ya'll would have found them and, hopefully some had installed them.
Shoot a monkey....well, will keep looking
thanks
God Bless

I've thought about it on the trailer. Some of these docks don't maintain their lights on the ramps and are steep and hard to navigate in the dark. I just replaced my trailer lights with LEDs that are guaranteed for life not to go out. One of them lasted about 2 months before it went out. In order to use the warranty, I have to ship it back to them with a receipt...too much trouble and time consuming. Until I know that I find something that the water won't ruin, I am holding off. I'm tired of replacing lights!

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 02:04 AM

Well, these days, if you buy a marine LED product, they are sealed. Water shouldn't get in.
But, unless I'm mistaken, the ones described in the posts above all are on the vehicle and not the trailer, right/wrong?
Really would like to find some that mount on the trailer.
Like Bobby....I'm not sure how to tie them in to the backup lights on the truck. I don't think there is an open connection point in my trailer light plug that fits from the boat trailer to the truck, is there ?
Glad to see I'm not the only one....sometimes early morning or late afternoon/early evening recovery gets a little dicey.
God Bless

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 02:11 AM

You have to cut the wire then you can solder or crimp the wires back together make sure to use heat shrink and wrap with electrical tape I've had mine for 2 years and no problems I mounted the strips on the back of the trailer and use dielectric grease
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 03:07 AM

The light cubes can be mounted on the trailer. Best to use high quality lights tho. And just splice them into your pre existing reverse lights.

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 08:02 AM

http://www.bluewaterled.com/trailer-led-applications/trailer-reverse-strip-led-lighting.html

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 08:19 AM

Thanks Moto !!! That might be just the TICKET !!!! thumb
Will telephone today...
God Bless

Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 10:05 AM

Good info, thanks for posting think I'll have to order me a set

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 10:15 AM

Making this old fart feel better that I'm not the only one.... banana
God Bless

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Good info, thanks for posting think I'll have to order me a set

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 11:13 AM

Good info, thanks for posting think I'll have to order me a set [/quote]

I installed a set and they are awesome really helped.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:21 PM

I already had plans of installing on my new rig, just gotta get it home first. Then the upgrades begin.

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 01:27 PM

Brad, did you buy from BlueWater Lighting ? Are you mounting them on your trailer or vehicle?
LOL, sorry but curious. Just want something white/clear to see the ramp behind the boat.
God Bless

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I already had plans of installing on my new rig, just gotta get it home first. Then the upgrades begin.

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 03:57 PM

Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 04:14 PM

Lee just installed these about 2 months ago. They light up the back like daylight, unbelievable the difference it makes in being able to back. I have a Puma and got mine through Rockwall Marine. Seems like $100.00 installed, don't remember the price. I too am getting a little older. Well worth it.
Posted By: Mulkey

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 04:16 PM

Here is my trailer completely lit up. I do sell and install them if need. you can find my work in the trades thread

Posted By: John175☮

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 04:31 PM

I have. One of the other things I did is add a yellow strip of led lights under the trailer frame so that when backing down the ramp in the dark I know exactly where the tires are. I first saw the benefits of the lights while backing a friends Triton down a ramp at dark-thirty.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 04:52 PM

Fouz
I have them on my Skeeter,but have no idea how to turn them on. Secret? It's a 2014
Posted By: sandegr

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 06:20 PM

Adding them to your truck is easy and cheap. I mounted mine to the rear leaf spring hanger on my truck then you simply find your hot wire to your reverse lamps in your tail light and tap it for power to the LED lights and run a ground to the truck.

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Fouz
I have them on my Skeeter,but have no idea how to turn them on. Secret? It's a 2014

You have to run a wire from the lights to your 7-way (round) trailer plug. It gets power thru the plug when you put your truck in reverse. It won't work with a flat 4-way plug, but I'm guessing most of your guys run trailers with brakes and the 7-way plug.

Posted By: forkduc

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 09:48 PM

Thanks
I'll have Plano Marine fix me up.
Posted By: ma1950

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/29/15 10:35 PM

I'm the same way night vison is about gone and I have thought of trying some sort of backup lights but on a ramp with more than one lane would you blind someone putting in next to you?

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 09/30/15 02:05 AM

Thanks...good information
To the Mods: Sorry about the misplaced post....wanted to find fishermen who have/going to wire back up lighting (aftermarket)
God Bless
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 10/05/15 01:50 AM

I need to do the same. I can't see [censored] when backing up. I already have to open the back hatch.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 10/20/15 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: sandegr
Adding them to your truck is easy and cheap. I mounted mine to the rear leaf spring hanger on my truck then you simply find your hot wire to your reverse lamps in your tail light and tap it for power to the LED lights and run a ground to the truck.

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Fouz

You have to run a wire from the lights to your 7-way (round) trailer plug. It gets power thru the plug when you put your truck in reverse. It won't work with a flat 4-way plug, but I'm guessing most of your guys run trailers with brakes and the 7-way plug.

I just run a 5-flat. I can just hook in to the 5th pin, the reverse pin right?
Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: Anyone Added Backup LED Lights to Your Trailer ? - 10/22/15 03:06 AM

That's right. I don't know what the current draw of the lights are so make sure your system can handle it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum