Texas Fishing Forum

t/m help

Posted By: MikeW62

t/m help - 08/16/15 04:27 PM

Minkota forTrex 112 36 volt with Minkota on board 4 bank charger. The charger shows a red light to check connections on battery 1. All connections are tight and there is no corrosion on batteries. It was working fine them all the sudden I have very little thrust from the trolling motor. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 05:58 PM

Put a tester on the battery and see how many volts it is showing.

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 06:24 PM

That sounds easy but I'm a dumb plumber not an electrician. I know how to operate my boat and keep gas and oil in it.

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 06:27 PM

My first thought was bad battery but i don't know what battery is what. I bought the boat used and the new t/m was part of the deal. I don't know anything about testing batteries.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 07:22 PM

Take the affected battery out and charge it with a different charger. Then take it to the auto parts store and have them load test it. If it's bad that will usually tell you.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 07:24 PM

Go get a cheap volt meter. Put it on dc. Hook the red lead to the positive and the black to the negative. A fully charged battery should read 13-14 volts. A dead battery will show less than 12. You don't need to unhook anything to check them. So easy, a fifth grader can do it.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: t/m help - 08/16/15 11:03 PM

Pull the batteries or the boat to any auto parts store and let them load test them for you. Go from there.
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: t/m help - 08/26/15 06:35 AM

How old is your charger? Could be a bad bank on your charger. Also check all of the fuses on each of the leads going from the charger. Switch the leads around and see if it still does it on another battery. If you get the red light on the same bank then its the charger, if its red on a different bank then it is the battery.

Re: t/m help - 08/26/15 09:01 AM

2 of the 3 trolling motor batteries was bad. All 3 are replaced now. Thanks for the input.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum