Texas Fishing Forum

2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke

Posted By: catfishman

2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke - 08/13/15 05:20 PM

I need your thoghts where to look at my issue on this motor. It will only runs at idle speed and if I push, it would die. I ready had the mechanic rebuild the carburator and the fuel line. In fact, I just got a new fuel line just in case but it did not resolved my issue. When i tried to prim the bulb, it does not get very firm and can hear air coming out of the carburator but once the air it remove, the buld is more firm but does not stay firm. Do you know if this could cause by the fuel pump or what else should I look. Any ideas will be apprecitated.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: 2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke - 08/13/15 06:20 PM

Quote:
can hear air coming out of the carburator

I'm no mechanic , but first think I would check is the needle and seat in the carb not seating..
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: 2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke - 08/14/15 11:25 PM

I'm not one to knock the competition, but if you paid someone to fix the motor, I'd take it back to them.
Those motors are pretty simple. I've got a 1985 that I bought new and except for wrecks, sinkings, etc. it still runs like a scalded dog.

That being said, I'd check to see if the fuel filter in the tank was stopped up. Assuming you have the old style fitting with the ball in the end of it, stick a stick in there and squeeze the bulb. Fuel should squirt out. Make sure you have fuel bulb pointing the right direction.

If you have access to another tank, try it.

I can't remember how those old fuel pumps work. I've never had to fix one, but anything is possible. Log on to one of outboard repair boards. The info is there.
Posted By: WTBOATMAN

Re: 2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke - 08/23/15 01:38 PM

If the primer bulb never gets hard and all the fuel line and prime bulb are good there is really only a few tings that could be wrong
1:needle is not shutting the fuel flow ,which you should see gas flowing out of the carb
2:fuel pump was installed wrong on the side of the carburetor
3:the gasket on the block to the carb to the intake is backwards
4:check for spark in the hole with a timing light, sometimes they can have spark out of the hole and not in, but that doesn't explain the primer bulb not getting hard
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 2005 25HP Mercury 2 Stroke - 08/24/15 01:36 PM

I have go with WT mechanic has put a gasket on wrong.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum