Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find?

Posted By: Pickandgrin13

Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/01/15 05:33 PM

I recently purchased a 14' aluminum semi-V Jon boat with decking. I figured finding a decent used outboard wouldn't be too hard. So far, it has proven more difficult than i imagined. I've been on the lookout for a 25-35 hp motor (tiller or controlled) but haven't found much. Aside from Craigslist and eBay, does anybody have any suggestions on where I could look for a used outboard? If you have one for sale, hit me up.

Thanks for any info you might be able to throw my way.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/01/15 05:51 PM

your location would help...I think...

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/01/15 05:59 PM

I'm in the Denton/DFW area.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/01/15 06:00 PM

Sell you a 95 efi Mercury 150, you'll fly down the lake

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/01/15 06:05 PM

I'm already getting an earful from friends when I talk about putting a 35hp on this thing. One old timer I talked to kept cautioning me not to rip my transom out with too powerful of a motor. This is my first boat in 20 years so I'm keen to follow wisdon.That might be too much for her. Right?

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/02/15 12:23 PM

So, are people just hanging onto these motors in hope that they will serve as post-apocalyptic currency one day? I guess I'm not understanding why I don't see many of these motors for sale, but I rarely ever see 25-35 hp motors on the lake. It's usually bigger engines I'm seeing. Are they just not that numerous, or is somebody out there hoarding?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/02/15 05:38 PM

Have a 25hp evinrude good tiller, pull start motor, new waterpump but cowling is ruff. No title 350.00
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/02/15 07:33 PM

I'm in the same situation as you. Looking for a good 10hp 2-stroke.
Have been checking at www.smalloutboard.com. Atf marine. But have not
heard any reviews from folks who have dealt with them.

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/02/15 09:57 PM

I'm seeing tons of 9.9 and 10 hp, it's the 15-35 hp, and really the 25-35 hp motors that seem to be as plentiful as unicorns.

Hey, Gary. I just picked up a 25 hp Johnson in Venus (the town, not the planet) today. If the prognosis from the mechanic is bleak I might hit you up for the tiller. Thanks!
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/07/15 08:06 PM

I'm looking for a GOOD 200hp Merc 3L & haven't had much luck. Several 2.5L' out there. I have a 98 Johnson Fast strike with 380hrs total for sale. Boat is rated for 200 & I'm a Merc man.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/10/15 12:26 AM

The reason is that nobody gets rid of a good motor by itself. The ones that you do find in that hp will run $500-$1000 if they are running. They sell overnight when put on Craigslist if working.
Posted By: BODA

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/11/15 06:55 PM

My guess is that they are hard to find because not too many people re-power jon boats, when you realize that a f30 tiller ($5500) costs as much as a sweet used jon boat ....my guess

call around to boat shops. they always have old outboards laying around, if you're handy and can read a manual, you can save a ton
Posted By: satx78247

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/13/15 06:38 AM

Pickandgrin13,

TOO BAD that you're so far away, as I have a 1958 ELECTRIC START Johnson 18 HP outboard & that is surplus to my needs. = It came out of an estate sale here in The Alamo City & I was told by the son of the original owner that it, "-------- has spent most all of its life in Dad's garage. - Likely wasn't run a 100 hours altogether. It was last used in the Summer of 2012".
It has NO control box or gas tank, though the controls are easily/inexpensively available on ebay.com & Wal-Mart has suitable 6-gallon plastic tanks, cheap.

The little 18 horse Johnny is only for sale, as I've found a 1958 Johnson SUPER QUIET 35HP that is PERFECT for the 1958 finned/tin LONE STAR UTILITY that I've found in Austin.

Note: ImVho, the old Johnnyrude BigTwins are the most over-engineered, toughest & longest-lived outboards ever built. = I believe that I could teach a chimpanzee to keep a BigTwin running essentially forever.

yours, satx
email: texasnative46@gmail.com
Posted By: Zak Barnett

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/14/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Have a 25hp evinrude good tiller, pull start motor, new waterpump but cowling is ruff. No title 350.00

Gary where you located at? I am interested if you still have this.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Looking for used outboard - why is it so hard to find? - 08/14/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Zak Barnett
Originally Posted By: gary purdy

Gary where you located at? I am interested if you still have this.

if you look under his name in a post it shows... 'Littlefield Tx & Lake A. H. USA'--(Littlefield, out by Lubbock...Lake A.H.= Lake Allen Henry)...
like yours shows Mansfield....Good Luck...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum