Texas Fishing Forum

Registration Issues. Any advice?

Posted By: fit2btide

Registration Issues. Any advice? - 07/09/15 09:00 PM

Has anyone ever had trouble trying to register an out of state boat here in Texas? Here's the problem I'm running into........
I bought a boat back home in Alabama and brough it out here. The state of Alabama doesn't do titles for boats. It states on the TPWD website that you must have a title signed by both parties in order to register in Texas. This was a used boat so there was not transaction from a dealer. I'm going to go by the TPWD office today to ask some questions. Just wanted to know if anyone had any similar experience, and what all you had to do.

thanks
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Registration Issues. Any advice? - 07/09/15 11:31 PM

Quote:
This was a used boat so there was not transaction from a dealer. I'm going to go by the TPWD office today......

my guess is you will at least need a bill of sale and even without a title, it will probably have a registration number/paperwork......good luck....
Posted By: TLW

Re: Registration Issues. Any advice? - 07/10/15 03:13 AM

This......

you will need a separate bill of sale for boat, motor and trailer.. boat will at least have a State registration/paperwork (kinda serves same purpose as title).. don't remember 'bout motors there....(all signed/dated by seller).. that's stuff that come from Alabama then Tx. has a coupla other forms for ya...if you ever registered it in your name in Al. you should have all tha stuff ya need other than tha coupla forms Tx will want....
Posted By: fit2btide

Re: Registration Issues. Any advice? - 07/10/15 01:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I stopped by the tpwd office yesterday so that could set me straight before I came up there to try to register it. I have everything except for the original alabama registration they need. I've never had it registered there so, I'm waiting on the guy to mail me his copy of that.
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: Registration Issues. Any advice? - 07/14/15 12:05 AM

Don't forget to use their form (forgot the #) but you put that paper on the serial# of the boat and run a pencil back and forth to transfer the ser # onto that form. Same to the motor or a photo of the ser#. Good luck, out of state transfers can be a pain.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum