Texas Fishing Forum

repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull

Posted By: brdnckl1

repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull - 06/23/15 04:06 AM

I have a cracked weld in the middle of my hull about 8 ft from the transom. Is there a epoxy I can use to seal this temporarily?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull - 06/23/15 12:15 PM

Their is some made for aluminum. It will need to be stop drilled and re-welded. When you patch aluminum with epoxy, it makes it more difficult to fix right. What boat is it. Some are guaranteed for life.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull - 06/23/15 09:30 PM

Welding is the only appropriate fix for aluminum. Anything else just makes a good repair harder.The crack needs to be ground out and tig welded and filled. If you have a floor in your boat and it is removable, you might want to pull it and check all of the horizontal ribs for cracked welds. if you hit something hard enough to break one, it's very possible there are more.
Posted By: BassHunter 69

Re: repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull - 06/28/15 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Welding is the only appropriate fix for aluminum. Anything else just makes a good repair harder.The crack needs to be ground out and tig welded and filled. If you have a floor in your boat and it is removable, you might want to pull it and check all of the horizontal ribs for cracked welds. if you hit something hard enough to break one, it's very possible there are more.

+1
Posted By: machinist

Re: repairing cracked weld In middle of the hull - 06/29/15 10:08 PM

don't use epoxy. use silicone it is flexible
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum