Texas Fishing Forum

trailer tire wear

Posted By: bigjim

trailer tire wear - 05/25/15 05:54 PM

Does anyone do an "alignment" on single axle trailers? I am having extreme tire wear on outer edge of tires . They are unusable after less than 1,000 miles
Posted By: fordnut

Re: trailer tire wear - 05/25/15 07:52 PM

Sounds like you may have a bent axle. You may try a trailer shop, google is your friend.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: trailer tire wear - 05/31/15 01:07 AM

if the outside of both are wearing about the same then you have an inward toe/bent or rolled axle.

check spring mounts for tightness first.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: trailer tire wear - 05/31/15 01:47 AM

I'm betting that Triton trailer has a torsion axle that is welded on. Sadly, some factory-rigged single axle trailers offer little margin for the load that is put on them once you consider the realities of added weight. The axle (often 3500# rated) must support more than just the boat hull. The trailer's weight must be included along with the outboard, trolling motor, batteries, all tackle/gear, and fuel (6 lbs./gal.).

When I needed trailer alignment, I've had good luck with truck & frame shops. Alignment on most heavy trucks is done by controlled bending of the frame and/or axle. The same process and set-up is used to align a trailer. I've never found a trailer shop that had invested in the laser alignment gear used to properly align the tires.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: trailer tire wear - 05/31/15 08:26 PM

I had the same problem on a single axle boat trailer. I launched my boat and left it tied to a friend's pier. I took the trailer back to the shop and set the axle on jackstands to take the weight off of the tires. I took two four ft levels and held them against the outside of the tires and measured at the bottom and top of the levels. This took some assistance. I then marked center of the axle, heated it with a rose bud, then used a hydraulic Jack to bend the axle downward. I jacked it until I read the same measurement top and bottom of the levels. I repainted the axle and my tires quit wearing. I put on a new set and they are have good tread.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum