Texas Fishing Forum

4blade prop vs 3 bald prop

Posted By: Chemdawg

4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/16/15 07:52 AM

i have questions i have tired to read up on it but i am still confused what is the difference between a 3 blade prop and a a 4 blade prop

if i under stand right a 4 blade prop will get you on a plain faster and is better for cruising do to gas milage but it is laking in top end speed

and a 3 plade prop is for performance

i have a heave center concel and i tedn to load it with men who are well over weight to do medication and depression would a 4 blade prop be better i dont run fast do to scared of hitting a simp or somting. i did not know but the guy how had my boat bout a stainles propeller and for got 2 go down 2 piches he just bout the same as the aluminum one that was one there. not the 17 pitch is fine for me and one person it woll plain right way and goo along a little over 40 pretty good for a heave boat and being 112hp johnson i am going to have to buy a new stainless 15 pitch stainless prop i am debaiting on a 4 blade because i have such heavy loaded boat or a 3 bland
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/16/15 09:14 AM

i think I have given you this information before:
www.stevescustomprops.com

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com

Lake Fork, Texas
903-763-5225
Call Steve he owns a well respected prop shop in the Lake Fork area and will steer you in the right direction. I have purchased props from him and he has repaired some for me. Pay the price and get the job done right and go fishing or mess with props for an indefinite amount of time.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/16/15 01:43 PM

Well my experience was this. I have a 16.5 foot Lowe Sea Nymph with a 60 hp 4 stroke yamaha. Had a 3 blade 15 pitch prop and boat would go 29 mph top end at 6200 RPM which was slightly over max. Yeah a real screemer! smile

Problem was me and my boys then were somewhat on the big size...we is fat! Would take forever to get on plane. So I talked with the Power Tech folks and Marcus and we came up with a plan. Now a 3 blade prop had 20 hp per blade. A four blade prop has 15 hp per blade. Marcus said it wasn't rocket science just geometry!

So we settled on a 4 blade 11 pitch prop and RPM dropped to 5700 RPM, max is 6000 RPM so I was happy. Speed increase to 31 mph and the holeshot is fantastic. Also something to consider if you ever fish in rough water is the hold power of that prop. The 3 blade would bleed off energy and I was constantly having to change throttle to "hold" the boat on plane like we wanted. That 4 blade prop has more thrust and easily hold the boat where it needs to be.

Now My engine is small by most any standards folks use, but the "geometry" would apply to larger engines too.
Posted By: RetiredYaker

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/16/15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
i think I have given you this information before:
www.stevescustomprops.com

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com

Lake Fork, Texas
903-763-5225
Call Steve he owns a well respected prop shop in the Lake Fork area and will steer you in the right direction. I have purchased props from him and he has repaired some for me. Pay the price and get the job done right and go fishing or mess with props for an indefinite amount of time.

903-763-0200 is the number for Steve's custom props.

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/17/15 10:09 PM

I spoke to stave we did not discuss 3-4 blade i am going to order a new one tomorrow no you never gave me any info on props Jacky I asked pat and he help me out the othere day. I had 5 guys in my boat I gould not get it to plain more could i get the rpms up the fist thing was to check the prop if every thing was good and it was because with me and one person it would plan right out the guy i bough the bout from put the wrong size pich prop on when he went to stainless i was told he needed to go down 2 deg on the pitch when going stainless and he just put the same size prop on it I was just trying to figure out what the difference was i think i am going to see about a 4 Blade when i go I tend to take a few guys who hare on the heaver side do to depressions and medications and stuff to the I dont drive fast to be gin with so if i love a little speed i am fine with that. thanks
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/17/15 11:59 PM

OK, Lewis I was thinking I gave you Steve's info, he is very knowledgeable on props Just like Pat is, I'd take either of there advice.

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/18/15 01:19 AM

i did took pats advice and called steve i just started read on props the difference between the 2 i did not quit understand what the real difference was till now i am going to fall steve and order a new one tomorrow. the one i have is just way to big it works fine with just me or my son in the the boat but put 3-4 guys there and the boat will nearly move and i cant get the rpms up at WOT at first i thought it was my motor sitting hight on the transom but pat said no its good and ask me about the prop thats when he said it was to much pitch call steve and get a new one i hade to drop 350 400 on a prop but i am i dont have a choice
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/18/15 05:49 PM

in a nutshell.
3 vs 4 blades

1 blade!!! LOL

this will be an ongoing debate for ever. and it is what it is.

each boat and application will vary.

heavier loads will small horsepower could require a smaller pitch 4 blade to accelerate
faster and stay on plate without porpoising the 4 blade will do a better job.
boats that are notorious for chine walking will drive better with a novice driver using a 4 blade.

not all boats are slower with 4 blades. i.e. bullets, this is because of engine heights and the
particular 4 blades geometry allowing for surfacing abilities of said 4 blade.

a huge majority of "bass boats" will hole shot and run faster on topend with a 3 blade.

it just depends on the application and what the customer wants out his setup.

hope that helps.. or atleast gets ya'll started in the right direction understanding the difference of 3 vs 4 blades.

just don't throw in the mix 5 blade props!! LOL
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/18/15 08:53 PM

He's got a tub center console with an old 88 commercial johnson. It's short and deep, and when he packs four big whales in his boat it won't go. Duh. I steered him to a 14 pitch, 13 1/2" diameter powertech with small vents. Just the regular trophy clone, he doesn't need flats cup or anything like that. I'd even same him some coinage with a satin finish also.

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/19/15 01:29 AM

I really dont arpicate you call then names Pat. You dont exactly look like a piller of fitness your self. At least these guys have valid reason for being a little heavy. whats yours? Most have sever medical peoples were getting out of the house is almost impossible at times Not to mention the medication some guys have to take causes wight gain. Its not like they are healthy have guts and not excuse for being a fat [censored] like some. i do apricate the help but i was just wondering what the difference between the 2 were no one really cold give me an answer I had asked. But steve got it squared away with a 15pitch

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/19/15 12:09 PM

Dang dude, it wasn't an insult, big is big.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/19/15 12:48 PM

maybe he needs a 'whale tail'...
Posted By: TLW

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/19/15 03:53 PM

"seriously!" now cleanin' key board and screen....sorry but... bolt
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/19/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: kingdad101
maybe he needs a 'whale tail'...
and a spell checker
Posted By: Biscuits

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/20/15 11:00 PM

If I am remembering correct Chemdawg is a war vet and has been blown up a few times by IEDs. He has had to relearn reading and writing from all the brain injuries he has suffered protecting our freedom. His posts are a bit hard to read but try to cut him some slack. He will get better the more he works on it. Thank you sir for your sacrifice.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/20/15 11:59 PM

Biscuits is correct with his assessment of Chemdawg's disabilities. Lewis also uses all of the proceeds from his bait sales to cover the expenses of taking disabled vets and the children who lost parents in the middle east and may never otherwise experience fishing with an older male figure. He doesn't talk the talk, he walks the walk and I'll guess that few on this board have or could survived what he has.
Lewis and I have PM'd quite a bit and yes, some of his writing can be difficult to interpret, but it's not that difficult for me, probably because I'm interested in what he has to say and am willing to read it enough times to put the thoughts together.
He is an example of what it really means to be an American and my hat goes off to him for who he is and what he does for his brothers in combat. It's because of guys like him that we enjoy the luxury of even being on this forum and being to discuss anything at all, including ridiculing those less fortunate, for whoever is into that kind of garbage.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/21/15 12:52 AM

Pat may have used some words others may not use, but like lewis, that's the way he talks..
no offense was meant by anyone...
we are all grateful for guys like him that allow us freedom to sometimes stray off course
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/21/15 06:11 PM

Thanks for your service chemdawg. one vet to another.. the middle east SUX!!

holler at us anytime.

hope your boat is performing good man.
Posted By: Josh@SCP

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/21/15 06:15 PM

Hey Lewis did you get that powertech we ordered for you?

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/22/15 05:55 AM

yes i got it and if i took it the wrong way i aplogize i have hard time with telling if someone is joking or not i tend to take every one more or less as being hostile and to call my guys, friends and and comrades whales well it didn't sit well i dont know pat personly he did help me and i took him as a good guy but when i read that i was pissed if i took it wrong i apologize

those of you who have an issue with spelling thought I cant do anything about it. I have my collage degree a lot of good it does me know but managed to meat the odds not once but 7 times not in clouding being shot and OFC for a few days or bening hit by RPGs Bob is right I do sell my bait and use all the not part all i dont touch a penny of it sell the bait and take guy and there family out fishing guys who have come to my house to by stuff i have offend to take them hell did not even know bob and we have tried to get to gather now I got my guid Licens running creap trips to limestone and waco my be he can get free and come out for a full day of fishing

most of you dont know but I survived 7 IED Attach on my HMMVE's in Iraq In one year I managed to loose all my men the first month i got Pined Sergeant I was shot in the chest and a piece of the bullet played up under my hip the protecive Plate in my vest stopped the bullet and it shattered and a pice end up in my letf hip on an other time I was struck and the only one to walk away i got hit in the he'd so hared when i wok up in Germany I lost most my memory to include my short term i can recall about 12 percent of a day if i am lucky i have heard to take nots throng out the day on stuff. till it is enbeded in my log term yes when i type even with errors it looks right to me no mater how hard I try i herd sever award for saveing a mang life in a fire fight and i cant even remember doing it so want to break my ball prick different subject i tend to be a little defense about it as you would be too going through life not remembering most of what you had done just bits and pieces so if my spelling offends you that much dont read my post I think i end pick of the hummve that took my memory and 3 of my guy they never found all of them so pat if you were just talking [censored] i do apoloze but one thing in the future if someone has ptsd really had not just say do when they hear a bomb go off and never left the base we have trouble deferring out who to take thing and ow to read people body language and facial expressing most time we tend to take it as a threat

That is were fishing and being on the lake come in to pay you are able to relax with noe one around he dont have to he as hype vigilant anxiety goes down i have have guys who have not left there house in years go fishing with me and with in 3 month the are going to the store with the wife wich is a big abolishment selling bait may not see like a big deal but the impact it has on peoples lives does I go fishing 3-4 time a week i dont alway post the pick and i has having trouble with my boat pat does not like it because it is a travis addition but i cant fine anything that says the were buil sub standard what the issue is is that travis had the company chang a few thing like the hard were that hold the seats down it sucks and had to be replace to decent stuff. yes would add thing to a boat after they got it from the manufacture and do a crappy job pun it on. and most of all trives boat company or what ever it was called did not care about the customer one bit after the sale. in face when i bout my boat an older guy up the road stopped because he had not seen one in years nd he pointed he travis add ons the real issue with travis boat world were that there were told to push all issues to the back burner and to fix as little as possible some times his said his brother wold see boat in the fix years sit there 2 weeks then they wold call the customer. they were also know for putting used and rebuilt parts on your boat it you took it to them unless you bout the warranty with it so they can charg them. he his brother told him they got a memo they had to sign doing with with repairs and putting it off for so long customer would call the maufautre who's hand were tied. he said his brother work at the on in Austen 5-7 years also most of the machines were not even licensed they empluyed just enough to keep from getting tin trouble eveone els was down as an apritests to a macnich to keep cost down. they other then being heave and having cup holders all ofer the boat when i took it to the ship to have it looked at they said it was great running boat that is all i haul was good no soft spots or anything and that is all i cared about they were boats that were for guys who wanted a boat but were not sure of if they wanted to spend 30,000$ you could buy one of heres for 13500 and the spl motor is a great motor look them up they dont have the bells and wishes the were plain janes that did not cost a whole lot there were meant to be disposable monster not even johnson was ready for how well they performed and who long they could last the were not expensive and a lot of company bout them and some people call the commercial motors My grand father had them and swore by them ny dad traded the mercy for a 112 for his lund plus case after 4 years the more had a blown top end were my dads johnson was still running strong my boat my be a 1996 but it has perfect compression at 120 each how many of your new motor can say that .

I have a straight up fishing boat that can take some abuse and keep on ticking i just never had to deal with props before. and pat if you really did not mean anything buy it then i can let it go but i was pissed you would call guys wit disbityes whales and none are ever faft just a big heavy and i cold not plain i do appreciate the help i thought thats what this board was for

even if you dont buy catfish bait you can still send $5 or so it adds up for gas and take for these guys if i am short or there is no many i pay for it my self las thing i want to do is say no to someone who need help the va seems really good with that. me i cant do much but i can catfish really well that is wy i got my license guid license and already a guid on waco was calling me pissed because my rates were so much cheaper. and i a sun up till 430-5pm trip on waco $125 right now and limsstone $150 there is not much left over after gas and oil but i am able to save in on the 15th on next month a family is coming from Gerogin to visit friends and is missing both leagues but he as 4 boys 11-15 to buy fishing combose for dont but cheap rods and reells i ut the combos that are about 60$

so if you are any one you know who does not have a lot money will be happy to take them out on lime stone or waco the fish are bigger but not qit as meany. for $175 for a trip sun up till i can see across the lake till 430 5 after i pay for gas it goes in to an account to take disabled vets and discount to active army or police met fie fighters and stuf like that but

But Josh did take care of me i am putting th trip on tomorrow and going to try it i am by my self but i hope i can fine guys at the rammp to help me out i hope it plains faster and moves still in th hight 30s 37--38 with 4 people in int once it plains sorry for the rant bob call me tomorrow walk me through the measurements and if you want on memorial weekend i will take you and your family out to limestone for the day if you like for payment

Re: 4blade prop vs 3 bald prop - 05/22/15 11:25 AM

Lewis,
Sorry you took that personal, it wasn't. Let's get you fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum