Texas Fishing Forum

Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs

Posted By: Lil joe

Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/10/15 05:03 AM

I changed the oil in my lower unit and found a few small metal shavings stuck to the drain plugs which apparently are magnetized. The old oil was black but it was not milky and did not appear to have any water in it. This is the first time I have changed the oil myself. I have always paid someone to do it and I decided it was something I should do myself. Are the shavings something to be seriously concerned about?
Posted By: PMB

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/10/15 12:51 PM

Left to right, great, good, and needs to see the mechanic.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/10/15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PMB

Left to right, great, good, and needs to see the mechanic.

Mine looked about like the good one, maybe a few less shavings than that. Thank you sir, I feel a lot better now
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/10/15 05:41 PM

just a tip..if you don't know ..always change the gasket when you pull one of those drain plugs...
Posted By: SFAJACKS44

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/11/15 04:07 PM

Where can you get those gaskets?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/11/15 04:24 PM

Most any place you can take your boat to get serviced can get them. Buy several at a time, they are cheap.

I had an o chit moment similar to this when I changed the front dif/transfer case on my truck. But research indicated it was typical for fine shavings. Chunks are something to worry about.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Shavings on My Lower Unit Drain Plugs - 05/11/15 05:42 PM

Granny shifting in and out of gear also adds to the collection of shavings on the plug. Shift into gear slow and listen to it grinds. It just sends chills.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum