Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer brake light out question ?

Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/04/15 04:54 PM

Can't say how many times over the years I have brake lights go out due to water in them but it's a bunch. I noticed there is no gasket or seal around the bulb cover yesterday.This time I used silicone around the clear plastic assembly cover that is supposed to keep water out.Anyone ever try this with any success?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/04/15 05:15 PM

Not really. Water will find a way.

For a few bucks you can install LED. They last 100,000 hours and are waterproof.....and trouble free.

worth it.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/04/15 05:39 PM

Does it really matter what type bulb?
Incandescent bulbs are as waterproof as they can make them. Have to be, soon as air gets to the filament it's gone.
Don't know if it really helps but it makes me feel better about it disconnecting the trailer lights before backing into the water. I don't re-connect until I've got the tackle &c loaded back in the truck and I'm ready to hit the road.

I've read that LEDs are a lot hotter than incandescents. Will that cause a prolem with the plastic lens, maybe melting or burning them?
Posted By: Chemdawg

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/04/15 09:52 PM

I had the same issue on my skeeter trailer I tried every thing grease silicon every thing after the 4th-5th time i went and bought some LED from walmart never had an issue with them
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/05/15 12:01 AM

Long before LED's, I put silicon around the bulb where the glass meets the brass.
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/05/15 12:43 AM

If you want to stop this problem get your lights out of the water.
Even with LED lights you will have trouble if you keep dunking them in water.
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Trailer brake light out question ? - 05/05/15 01:13 AM

I dunked my led lights in the water hundreds of times, they never failed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum