Texas Fishing Forum

Mice

Posted By: opus

Mice - 05/03/15 03:37 PM

is there something to keep um out of boat(moth balls?????) they reeked havock on my wireing even ate bout 20"of my transducer cable foil an all
Posted By: CADD

Re: Mice - 05/03/15 04:25 PM

I use Irish Spring soap bars placed here and there and have worked fairly good. Others say use Peppermint Oil and they make some Commercial stuff but I haven't tired either since they are expensive and limited life. I have a on going issue since the boat is near the shed with horse food and they love the insides of boats apparently frown

Travis
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Mice - 05/03/15 07:53 PM

I own "the old family farm" complete with my childhood home that I don't get to visit often enough, so it sits vacant most of the year. We had a heck of a time with mice until I started using what I call "the earbuster".

It's a sound deterrent device sold by Harbor Freight. We put one of these in the house, set to max settings. The rodents apparently can't stand it, and you won't be able to either, LOL. If I ever felt I needed something in my detached garage (or barn/shed, etc.) I would absolutely try this first. I am totally impressed with the results.

http://www.harborfreight.com/transonic-pro-pest-repeller-96743.html

Re: Mice - 05/03/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
I own "the old family farm" complete with my childhood home that I don't get to visit often enough, so it sits vacant most of the year. We had a heck of a time with mice until I started using what I call "the earbuster".

It's a sound deterrent device sold by Harbor Freight. We put one of these in the house, set to max settings. The rodents apparently can't stand it, and you won't be able to either, LOL. If I ever felt I needed something in my detached garage (or barn/shed, etc.) I would absolutely try this first. I am totally impressed with the results.

http://www.harborfreight.com/transonic-pro-pest-repeller-96743.html

Wish I could use this BUT we have a couple dogs
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Mice - 05/04/15 05:51 PM

I followed the "RVers 1st choice" for repellant: real (not artificial) peppermint oil. Small bowl, medicine bottle cotton wad for a wick, maybe 1/2 cup P.oil. Also a couple of traps. No vermin caught in traps, no tell-tale "leavings" of mice/rats. We're rural and just about everybody around us has horses and/or cows, so there's more than enough vermin to go around.
I assume (I hope correctly this time) that electric/electronic rodent repellant devices don't work because the Army specifically forbids their use in food storage facilities.

Re: Mice - 05/04/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DCmac
I followed the "RVers 1st choice" for repellant: real (not artificial) peppermint oil. Small bowl, medicine bottle cotton wad for a wick, maybe 1/2 cup P.oil. Also a couple of traps. No vermin caught in traps, no tell-tale "leavings" of mice/rats. We're rural and just about everybody around us has horses and/or cows, so there's more than enough vermin to go around.
I assume (I hope correctly this time) that electric/electronic rodent repellant devices don't work because the Army specifically forbids their use in food storage facilities.
Sorry P oil???
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Mice - 05/04/15 07:18 PM

Your going to think this is crazy but...here it is. I had trouble with cats, cats and mice are a coyotes delight. The fellow at the feed store recommended coyote urine. I took a 1X3X24" and wrapped a rag around it, added a small strip of of that urine on it and placed across the opening by my motor where my cover leaves a gap. No more cats using my boat for a bathroom. Anything a coyote eats, this stuff will keep out. A small bottle for $6 and problem solved. I add a little about every 6 months so a bottle should last a for years. Sounds crazy but them folks at these old feed stores seem to have the answer.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Mice - 05/04/15 09:03 PM

i'm going to try the coyote thing in my jeep cherokee. left it at the camp for about a month with 100# corn in the back, now i can't get rid of em.
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Mice - 05/05/15 02:47 AM

Container with mothballs and a little rat posion
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Mice - 05/05/15 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: opus
Sorry P oil???

Peppermint oil. The real stuff is pricey but seems to work. In the RV the smell gets overpowering in a day or two, but it's a kind of fresh smell and it airs out in a couple hours. I won't use moth balls, once that smell gets into things you can never get it out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum