Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for my first fishing boatgood

Posted By: Patrick N

Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/01/15 09:52 PM

I've wandered around the boats for sale section but don't really see anything for me. Where are some good places to look for a reasonably priced bass boat? Or does anyone have one for sale they haven't listed?
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/02/15 01:01 AM

What's reasonably priced? Plenty of good deals to be had out there if you know your budget and wants
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/02/15 01:22 AM

if you are interested in purchasing a boat put what length motor preference an price range you intend to stay in an it will save a lot of time finding what suits your needs good luck.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/02/15 06:00 PM

Look at southeasttexas.com in classifieds. They have categories for: Boats, Freshwater boats, and Aluminum boats.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/05/15 01:28 AM

I'm looking to stay around $3000. Havent really thought about age. 16 foot min and motor just something reliable that will get me where I need to go. Thought about maybe an older bass tracker or maybe an '87-'90's skeeter.
Posted By: infinity_656

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/05/15 06:12 AM

I found my last two boats on southeasttexas.Com lots of good people and good boats
Posted By: fwfisher

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/06/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Patrick N
I'm looking to stay around $3000. Havent really thought about age. 16 foot min and motor just something reliable that will get me where I need to go. Thought about maybe an older bass tracker or maybe an '87-'90's skeeter.

In that price range, I think you will have your best luck with dfw craigslist.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/07/15 12:09 AM

That's where I have been looking but it seems like a lot of people want to sell a $1 bill for $20. Lol.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/07/15 02:25 AM

Prices are always negotiable or walk. Plenty of running boats around for 3gs. Do not buy without lake test. You mentioned it being your first boat, take a friend with a clue If you know anyone. On older boats look out for transom issues and floor rot issues.
Posted By: kingdad101

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/07/15 02:44 AM

if you do find a boat..MAKE SURE the titles are in the name of the person you are giving your money too.....
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/07/15 03:20 AM

They are out there, you just have to be patient. People think that it is warm so boat prices go up and people will overpay.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/07/15 02:52 PM

First bass boat. I've had a boat before and we've got several in my family. I feel comfortable as far as what to look for and have walked on several for various reasons. I'll just stay patient and keep looking. Thanks for all your input and advice, it's not falling on deaf ears!

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/13/15 12:54 AM

Bump. Anyone seen or have anything?
Posted By: Randy Barfknecht

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/13/15 07:11 PM

I have a 94 Skeeter SS90 dual console I Might sell If someone offered me enough for it. It's a 16.2ft with an 88 Evinrude, Minnkota Maxxun trolling motor, and a Humminbird Side Imagaing at the console. It's a great stater boat, or first boat. I fish out of it because it's all I need for now. It's my second SS90, and those boats were built solid, and they are pretty darn fast.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/14/15 04:02 PM

Sent you a PM
Posted By: Red Too

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/14/15 11:38 PM

PM sent

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/15/15 08:18 PM

Still looking!
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/16/15 04:28 PM

www.2coolfishing.com has a very active boat classified section.

Here's an Xpress listed for $3500.00.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=1461714

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/16/15 08:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Also thanks to everyone who has been messaging me with advice and what they have available.
Posted By: bigtexnick

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/16/15 09:24 PM

Just my 2 cents.

You may want to consider that in the 4k and under price range, there will be very sketchy rigs out there. A lot of them heavily used and perhaps not well cared for. I was in the market some years ago with a similar range and that is just about all I found: rather junky rigs. If you are willing to spend more, say, 5-15k, I think you will have a lot more success in finding fish-ready, more high-tech, reliable boats. In other words, 5k and under is going to put you a lot closer to the fixer-upper type rig, whereas a higher price range will find more quality, better name rigs.

No matter what, though, do at least 2 things before you pay for anything: lake test the boat (checking for all functioning items, electronics, etc.) and have a mechanic do a check-thru (including compression test, etc.) If you do not do BOTH of these things, then do not buy anything.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/17/15 05:11 AM

I may of lucked out. Found a older Skeeter with a 200HP black max. New carpet, solid transom, everything works, and gel coat looks brand new. Compression test was great and the lake test also went very good. He also has all the maintenance records for the boat since it was purchased new. He bought it from his dad when his dad got a new boat and is selling it because he's buying the boat his dad bought to replace this one. Only bad thing is there is no fish finder at all.
Posted By: 67TexasTBend

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/17/15 02:31 PM

Sounds good Patrick! Congrats. You don't need a fishfinder to get on the water and fish. That can come later, and get exactly what you want. With a lot of guys always upgrading their electronics, I'm sure you can find a great deal on a very good fish finder.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/17/15 04:02 PM

If that boat checks out a no fish finder ain't a big deal like others said. A boat that size and well maintained could last you for years. Yoh can get a decent graph to get you fishing pretty reasonably, like others said there are always pull offs floating around

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/17/15 05:36 PM

I'm going to go give it a final look over with a friend of mine who's owned several boats to make sure I didn't miss anything and if it's all good I'm going to pick it up Monday.

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/17/15 11:01 PM

Annnnnd he sold it out from underneath me. So now I'm still looking?

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/18/15 11:57 AM

If you run into a situation like that again earnest money in a small amount can help show your serious. Get in writing you get it back if they sell it. Good luck

Re: Looking for my first fishing boatgood - 05/18/15 02:07 PM

I did put a deposit down and he gave me my deposit back... 😡 I should be fishing right now! Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum