Texas Fishing Forum

Looking at a jackplate, thoughts?

Posted By: HaulinBass02

Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 02:12 PM

I am considering installing a hydraulic jackplate on my boat but want some thoughts, pros cons etc.
The Skeeter SX has "sponsons" that are supposed to give a quicker hole shot etc but I'm looking for a little more performance from the 150 Yamaha. Quicker out of the hole, better low speed performance, meaning planing off at lower speed and of course a little faster on the top end.
I'm looking at a 5.5" plate with 8" of lift. Good idea, bad idea, need something different. Let me have it.
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 02:22 PM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2616315/Jackplate_on_Skeeter_SX200

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 03:24 PM

Ok so can the transom not handle a plate or what?
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: HaulinBass02
Ok so can the transom not handle a plate or what?

I am not exactly sure, I just remembered the issue has been discussed on here a number of times in the past. You might give Steve a call and discuss it with him. He is your prop and jackplate guy.

http://www.stevescustomprops.com/

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 03:34 PM

I'll give him a shout thanks.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 04/28/15 05:45 PM

the SX skeeters have a wood transom.
a jack plate will void the warranty instantly.

and in most cases (depending on setback) will break the transom.

install at owners risk. smile

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 05/03/15 03:42 AM

I know we already spoke Steve but I was under the impression that the transom was composite? When Skeeter says composite are they talking about a wood/fiberglass/epoxy/ mix kinda thing or is that not the whole truth about their hulls?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Looking at a jackplate, thoughts? - 05/03/15 01:24 PM

"Composite" is a misleaded word, it means the joining of dissimilar materials. Which could be plywood and fiberglass.

SX is a plywood transom, it can't handle a jack plate, and they know that, so that's why they void the warranty if you've got one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum