Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota repair

Posted By: Stump jumper

Minn Kota repair - 04/08/05 05:32 PM

I have an old Minn Kota bow mount and need to replace the U shaped holder that the shaft rests in while in the stowed position. I beat on the pin with a hammer and punch and it will not move. This pin joins the 2 brackets together and alos serves as a hinges of sorts. Does anyone have any experience at this or suggestions.
Posted By: cbyrom

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/08/05 05:54 PM

Get a bigger hammer? laugh
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/13/05 05:47 PM

Any ideas other than a bigger hammer?
Posted By: Duckdog

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/14/05 07:28 PM

I have the same situation and talked to the factory rep. yesterday. He claims a hammer and punch is the ticket. Good Luck. I'm waiting for my new t-bar anyday now.
Posted By: RANGER481V

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/17/05 04:15 AM

SEND IT TO THE MANUFACTURE AND WITH THE REPAIRS COMES A WARRANTY.
Posted By: Foster's Trolln Motors/ ATV

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/19/05 06:32 PM

If used in saltwater, you may have to spray penetrant on it. Salt gets in there and seizes that pin to the bow-plate.
Posted By: rb7764

Re: Minn Kota repair - 04/19/05 06:57 PM

Use penetrating fluid, let it set for a day or two. Then put the mount on a firm surface and strike the pin with a punch and hammer HARD. It is important to make sure the force goes directly to the pin and not to the aluminum.

If penetrating fluid, a few days, and a 5 pound hammer don't work. One trick is to heat it up, but you have to be very, very careful not to melt the aluminum. The heat will break up the corrosion between the parts.

If you heat it up, don't use an acetylene torch like you would use for steel. You will melt it for sure. Use a propane torch, heat it slowly, and keep it hot with off and on heat to let the metals expand and contract a little.

Also, the torch will burn the paint off the mount, so be ready for a little painting if you have to do this.

Ron
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum