Texas Fishing Forum

Hydraulic steering systems

Posted By: Fishin Aggie81

Hydraulic steering systems - 01/08/14 08:51 PM

I'm looking to replace my worn out cable steering system with a hydraulic system. I have a 18' Procraft with Merc 150 HP. I see several kits available from Teleflex, Baystar, Uflex and others. How much difference is there? Is there one clear brand to go with, or any to stay away from?

It sounds like the Teleflex Sea Star is a pretty common one, some of the others are cheaper, not sure if they are worth getting or not.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/08/14 09:07 PM

get the sea star an you will enjoy it over cables.
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/08/14 10:46 PM

I've had Sea Star systems on 2 boats and never had a problem, don't try to save money on steering controls.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/08/14 10:54 PM

The Baystar says "150" but it's NOT at all capable of supporting any V6. Get the seastar and be miles ahead.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 12:26 AM

http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 03:03 AM

Sounds like everything I see here and elsewhere points to SeaStar. I see SeaStar & SeaStar Pro advertised. what's the difference? Even Teleflex's website doesn't really distinguish the two.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 03:40 AM

you just need the seastar, make sure you order a kit with hoses and fluid (2 qts in the kit not one).
not real sure about the difference but I think it is speed related, over 70 the pro system is the one (so I have been told).
Posted By: Tnamarine

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 04:42 AM

You will be fine with the sea star system I have run the bay star on 150 s and it seems to be just add hard to steer as cablesc when under power
Posted By: Taylor_TSU

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 09:41 PM

Sea star
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/09/14 10:07 PM

There is a seastar pro for sale in the classifieds right now

Re: Hydraulic steering systems - 01/10/14 07:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately it already sold. It would have been just what I needed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum