Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems

Posted By: hawgfish

Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/20/11 03:06 PM

My 2006 250 HPDI just went down.
My power head fried yesterday and I have been reading about a lot of problems that Yamaha has had on this motor. I have 112 hr. on this motor and it has been very well taken care of. Yama-lube and ring free has been used since new. The break-in period was followed to a T.... Anyone have any updates or recent experience with a bad power head?
Posted By: Scott Gordon

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/20/11 04:28 PM

Happened to me back in September. My motor started running rough and I thought it might be a fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Took it in for service and was told the head was down.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/20/11 09:02 PM

Thats funny Scott. Its me Tommy Blessing "Raisingfishermen"
I just bought a 20i and took it to Grapevine Lake yesterday and I blew #1 piston. I went to Georgia to get the boat from a Dealer. I have a warrenty on the motor but I want to make sure they replace what caused the problem. Same thing happened to me, It was running rough, slow out of the hole and would not go over 4200 rpm. 30 minutes later it started knocking and ...bam... i could only idle back to the ramp. I have read about a lot of isues with Yamaha 250. I hope Yamaha will make it rite. I will be ready for March 13th.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/20/11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Raisingfishermen
It was running rough, slow out of the hole and would not go over 4200 rpm. 30 minutes later it started knocking and ...bam.

I hate to say it but that engine warned you but you continued to run it. Mine blew a few years ago so i know what it is like. Luckly you are under warranty. These engines have several fuel filters that need changing yearly and if they dont, they tend to lean out and blow. Was yours a series 1 or 2 engine?

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/21/11 11:07 AM

It warned me in a 30 minute time frame? This was the first time this motor was on the water since it was fulley servised a week prior. The motor was completly tuned and all data recorded on computer. All checked ok.
Posted By: Page

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/21/11 12:43 PM

On the HPDI's there are to very tiny fuel filters that don't receive the service to the cost about $1500. They are located on the top portion of the motor. Sounds like they were the culprits. Typical of these filters what it sounds like.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/22/11 02:15 PM

Don't these engines have a warning buzzer?
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/22/11 08:25 PM

I have that same engine on my Ranger with about the same hours. I am curious if you had the oil pump replaced? They had a recall a couple years back and they determined the oil pump was part of the problem and issued a recall. I had mine replaced with the new one. I did noticed that it will smoke a little more now than before but I am ok with that. It just means there is more oil being burnt and that is a good thing.
Posted By: beermill

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/23/11 01:07 AM

Yep, they go beeeeeeeeeeeeeep-BOOM!!!!
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Don't these engines have a warning buzzer?

Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/23/11 03:14 AM

Nice!! That's what I'm afraid of.....

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:27 AM

Here we go.... No compression on number 1 cylinder. The piston must have burt down, hole or something. Computer shows that the number 1 fuel injector failed. The oil pump was replaced in the past due to recall. I will have a new power head and new fuel injector.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:29 AM

Thanks for all the comments. No alarms will go off on a failed EFI. Clogged filters and drive belt will set the alarm off.
Posted By: JDKOURI

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:37 AM

Just wanted to chime in since I had the same problem. Last week during practice for Choke Canyon my #1 blew. "Top Right Cylinder" Fished in a borrowed boat, didn't do very good and was concerned about the cost of new power-head every night. Had a friend that recommended Fun and Sun in Hurst, Tx. And they have got my motor warrantied it was 5.5 months out of warranty so I am counting my blessings. I too had my boat fully serviced the week before I left. Own a Ranger with 250 HPDI V-Max and have to say when I get another one I will do my business with the people who are taking care of me!

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:41 AM

My boat is at Fun N Sun. Power head is in and waiting on EFI. This is the first time that I have had FNS work on a boat. The guys seem to be helpful. I think a new power head for that motor is $8k

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:43 AM

JDKOURI, Lance told me about you today. He said a guy from OK came in with the same problem.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 03:52 AM

JD, Do you want to move out of a Ranger and into a Bug??? I may have to sell this thing with the new power head.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 04:23 AM

I am wanting to do business with people that take care of their customers. The Ranger dealer in Oklahoma has been of NO help with ordering parts so I have reverted to buying straight from Ranger. I also can't believe that I would buy from Cabela's since I am in the on-line tackle business and other than that do not know how their service department will work. So I would say my next boat will more than likely not be a Ranger unless FNS starts selling them! Like I said this is my first dealings with them and so far they have been above my expectations. Joe ElKouri

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 04:24 AM

I leave for Rayburn on Thursday Feb. 4th I sure hope they get me taken care of so I can leave on time.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/27/11 11:48 AM

Best of luck to you on getting it back in time. My boat has been in since January 19th, 1 week and a day so far. The snow storms have delayed shipment from skeeter.
Posted By: Crown Block

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/28/11 12:07 PM

I would like to get some more information if you guys dont mind. I have a 250 hpdi. orderd boat / engine new on 04. Engine has 113 hrs. most are low rpm as per diagnostic computer. (just had its annual service this week an asked mech. for hrs info) as with you guys engine has been treated by the book, ring gree, stabil marine, yearly service some time twice a year depending on time on water. Mech says engine is in great shape. My question is were there any mech. noise such as knocks etc? when you say rough idle did it have excissve vibration/ shaking etc? Smoke excissve? How bad was the hole shot? Did get on plane then power down? I would like to know what to look / listen for to maybe reduce damage if it happens too me.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/28/11 12:27 PM

You hit the nail on the head. If anything is different about how your motor is performing, do`nt run it wide open untill you find out why.
Posted By: Puma 54

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/28/11 01:57 PM

My 2008 250HPDI has 172 hours. No issues so far. I have it services every at Service Marine in Emory.

Scott
Posted By: Bgjig

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/29/11 02:29 AM

I also have a 2008 250 HDPI series 2. It has 67 hours.

What year models are having troubles? Is there something I should be asking the service techs to look for?
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/29/11 04:24 AM

I'm pretty sure I called and tried to buy that boat from a dealer in Georgia, but looks like someone beat me to it.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/30/11 05:36 PM

I have a 2007 250 HPDI. The older models is the ones that Yamaha had the most problems. Yamaha states that 2006 and newer 200, 250 and 300 HPDI are designed with new oil pumps. My problem was with the Fuel injectors. If you have any problem with the motor not running normal, turn it off and take it to a machanic.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/30/11 07:23 PM

My motor was a 07 250 HPDI had 270 or 290 hours on it. I think all Yamaha's shake when at idle. My motor was running the best I had ever heard it run and then. "Knock, knock, knock, knock" I then knew this was something that I had not heard before which meant it probably wasn't good.
Posted By: Puma 54

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 01/31/11 02:22 PM

I know that on my 08 250 HPDI, the shaking at idle issue is due to the fact that the engine is running on 4 cylinders at idle when not in gear. According to my service guy, Yamaha did this to get a better emission rating. Once you put it it in gear, the other 2 cylinders kick in.

Merc did this too, a buddy has a 115 Merc v4 and his runs on two cylinders at idle when out of gear.
Posted By: DennisAdkins

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/09/15 04:11 PM

I have an '09 250 HPDI at FunN Sun with what they tell me is a blown power head. When they weren't trying o sell me a new boat, they were quoting $6,500.00 plus foe a new power head. I called HyrdroTech in Missouri and they will send a new power head out with full factory warranty for $4,400.00 and North Texas Marine (Yamaha factory authorized) will do the swap for $600.00. That's a $1,500.00 savings over Fu N Sun's starting point.

My motor is on a 2009 Skeeter 20i that will be up for sale as soon as I get the new power head on it if anyone is interested. Unless of course someone wants to save a little more and buy the boat and do the swap themselves. I'll make it worth your while. 😉
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/09/15 09:14 PM

It pays to shop around, local dealers are usually higher on everything.
Posted By: Used Nitro

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/10/15 07:04 PM

You do realize this post is 4 years old?
Posted By: Skeeter Salesman

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/14/15 03:40 PM

There is big diff. in a reman and new power head from yamaha also warranty is from power tech not mfg.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 07:03 AM

I've never heard of "Power Tech" but HydroTech is a Yamaha authorized rebuilder and Yamaha stands behind the new power heads they install.
It is my understanding from talking with several different Yamaha authorized service centers that no one repairs blown power heads, they only replace the entire power head. And Hyrotech is where all of the service centers I spoke with get theirs.

I'm having my power head replaced by HyrdoTech in a couple of weeks. (The earliest they could get me in due to work load). I am curious as to what the "big difference" is between the re manufactured and new power head is. I have been told that they both are full one year warranties.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 07:20 AM

I'm having a new power head installed on my 2009 Yamaha 250 HPDI by HydroTech in Missouri for a quoted cost of $5,100.00. ($4,400.00 for the power head and $700.00 labor) cost includes all new filters, new impeller pump, full one year warranty and when I drop it off at 8:00am they will have me back out the door early The same afternoon. Fun and Sun was considerably more expensive in their pricing and spent more time trying to sell me a new boat than trying to assist me with addressing the issues I was having with mine. They're nice guys but I didn't feel comfortable that they were looking out for my best interests at all.

The motor only has 277 hours on it now which from my research is about when these HPDIs fail. I can't speak for others but my has been well cared for with ethanol treatment, Yamaha's Ring Free and filter changes. I will finish the season in my 2009 Skeeter 20i but it will be sold this year while still in warranty and I will be fishing with a Mercury behind me next year.

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 07:32 AM

Yeah, 4 years old, it just goes to show you that the same problems with Yamaha have existed a long time. It also highlights the fact that Yamaha's only attempt to correct their problem has been to quit making the motors. That attitude doesn't instill a lot of confidence that their new 4 stroke SHOs are going to be any better. At least not for me.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: DennisAdkins
Yeah, 4 years old, it just goes to show you that the same problems with Yamaha have existed a long time. It also highlights the fact that Yamaha's only attempt to correct their problem has been to quit making the motors. That attitude doesn't instill a lot of confidence that their new 4 stroke SHOs are going to be any better. At least not for me.

Don't really agree with this statement at all. I know plenty of HPDI's that are still running strong. Yes all motors (any and all manufacturers) will have some failures. The reason they stopped making them just like any other builders is new technology comes out to meet the newer EPA mandates. Personally I have had minimal issues out of mine and I have considerably more hours (3X's) than the one the OP is having issues with.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: DennisAdkins

Don't really agree with this statement at all. I know plenty of HPDI's that are still running strong. Yes all motors (any and all manufacturers) will have some failures. The reason they stopped making them just like any other builders is new technology comes out to meet the newer EPA mandates. Personally I have had minimal issues out of mine and I have considerably more hours (3X's) than the one the OP is having issues with.

well i'm glad you've had good luck with yours. i've got 1000 hrs on my 02-200 hpdi and since about 300 hrs, it's been a continual fight with the fuel system. i guess everything levels out, your good luck and my bad luck. hope yours lasts forever, but mine will be going down the road.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 08:16 PM

just got word from my mechanic----high pressure pump is gone---again. that's all folks. if anyone needs some 200 hpdi parts, contact me, i'll make you a great deal. i through with it.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Yamaha 250 HPDI Power Head Problems - 05/15/15 10:43 PM

I know of a shop that services numerous brands of outboard motors. The owner considers Yamaha HPDI as a "bread and butter" product line as it provides a proven and consistent revenue stream from repairs as compared to any of the other brands when viewed as broad categories. I learned of this when I asked about pros/cons of owning one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum