Texas Fishing Forum

Red-Fin boats?

Posted By: Duke 22

Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 12:33 AM

I am looking at a 23' center console made by red-fin whom I have never heard of. It has a 200 hp yamaha vmax on it. What do yall know about red-fin's?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 02:09 AM

They were built in Ft. Worth.
I never took on in on trade that didn't need a new transom. Be very careful.

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 02:36 AM

Really, that is some good info. What else do you know about them?
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 10:58 AM

Is this a tunnel hull or a Euro V? I had a 20-ft. Euro-V hull Redfin with a 150 Johnson on it and the only thing I didn't like was the low gunwales. I fished some big lakes here in NE Texas in it and fishing partners got to calling it the "every third wave over the bow" boat in rough water. Ran great on rough water when running at speed. It's not a heavy boat and was more of a bay-type boat than a lake boat.

They were built in Crowley but when Walt passed on they went out of business. Don't know who has the molds now.

Here's a picture of it before I sold it back in 2004 - it was a 1992 model.

Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 11:40 AM

"be very careful" means just that..

They are a rolled edge boat with wood decks, floors and transoms, they weren't born with cancer, but are prone to it. Stomp on the decks and floors, if they give, they're wet. Yank motor up and down on the transom, if it gives, it's wet.

I would suggest the same thing on ANY similar built boat, kenner, blue wave, whatever.

Posted By: Mike Halfmann the boatmann

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 02:06 PM

In 96 they build a square edge 20 ft Called the TE hull. Had one, took me 6 months to find someone to buy that p.o.s. The thing would self steer if your fishing partner shifted his weight while you were on plane. That meant that you had to turn the steering wheel one revolution every time your partner shifted his weight. You cannot relize how many times they do that in a mile. It will wear you out. Also the floor is only 3/4" above the water line, almost impossible for the floor to drain in a rain storm while you're setting there fishing. Expect 2 inches of water on the floor while it ranins. Also in the flats, when making a hard turn the inside corner of the bow of the boat would drop and give you a great shower, not too bad in the hot summer, ain't worth a darn in the winter. My aerator would air lock and you had to suck on the spray head inside the livewell to get water flowing. That almost drowned me onece. Then I figured out to take a short hose and blow into to.Now for the good thing. It would launch out of the hole hard, one of the very best hole shots on any boat that I ever had. Like said, mine was built well, but I really, really, really did not like it.

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 08:05 PM

its a 23' tunnel hull. Seems to be pretty well built. I could find no evidence of it being "wet". The story behind this boat is that it is an 06' model that has been in a warehouse, It looks untouched and is clean as a pen. According to the dealer I would be the first titled owner.
Posted By: RANGER SKI

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/17/10 09:50 PM

red fin is out of business. the last ones were built in stamford texas just north of abiline.
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/18/10 12:16 PM

Doesn't matter the brand of boat, if you're fishing the lakes in north-ease-central Texas, I wouldn't be looking for a tunnel-hull, don't care if they gave it to me.
Posted By: capnbeak

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 04/18/10 08:29 PM

Quite a familiar name there Bill.....
Posted By: Sparky 61

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 09/25/11 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: redfinŽ
Is this a tunnel hull or a Euro V? I had a 20-ft. Euro-V hull Redfin with a 150 Johnson on it and the only thing I didn't like was the low gunwales. I fished some big lakes here in NE Texas in it and fishing partners got to calling it the "every third wave over the bow" boat in rough water. Ran great on rough water when running at speed. It's not a heavy boat and was more of a bay-type boat than a lake boat.

They were built in Crowley but when Walt passed on they went out of business. Don't know who has the molds now.

Here's a picture of it before I sold it back in 2004 - it was a 1992 model.
Red fin did you hate it , how long did you own it?

Posted By: Sparky 61

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 09/26/11 12:28 AM

We went out today and had a blast , 4 hours on the water did not have any water in bilge area

Posted By: Kevin Spectackler

Re: Red-Fin boats? - 10/08/11 09:57 PM

We've had a Redfin 200Euro-T since we bought it new in 1992, and absolutely love it. It was the biggest center console that would fit in our garage. Recently replaced the trailer with a custom aluminum one made by Horizon Trailers in Galveston, and the rig looks like new, and still fits in the garage, now with tandem torsion axles.

I put a pair of Flow-Max Ball Scuppers on the floor drain holes a few years ago and the floor has been dry ever since, including some very wet rides in rough water.

It's not a rough water boat and weight shifts with passengers can help a lot with the amount of spray from a cross wind.

The biggest downside with the hull is the tunnel makes it very hard to maneuver in reverse at boat ramps, but the shallow water advantage is worth the trouble.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum