Texas Fishing Forum

I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale

Posted By: jerry3

I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 02:11 AM

I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale. I have the papers of the internet to get the title have any of yall ever done this before? Where do i take the paper work to, to get the title thanks for your imput
Posted By: epicoutdoors

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 02:25 AM

If you bought the boat from a state that does not title boats and outboard motors you still need the previous owners registration papers and a bill of sale. If the boat came from TX it should have titles or you'll have a big mess to deal with. Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. handles boat titling and registration. They have offices all over TX. You can look them up online.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 03:37 AM

I do not think you can legally sell a boat without a tiitle. You are gonna be in for a headache from the state I can almost promise that.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 05:38 AM

Hope you didn't pay much for it.

Lets hope the boat isn't stolen.

You will have to do a mechanic lein or a abandoment.

I don't know the whole process for a boat but for a car, you send like 3 Certified Copies of letter to owner on the title.

Then you have to take the 3 certified letter/return to sender un opened to tax office and then do the title process.

For a boat I don't know the process, but I am sure it's a headache.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 09:33 AM

Has it ever been titled?
Did you buy it out of state?
Posted By: Trebor Neil

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 11:15 AM

Bless you my son,
Repeat after me, "MY Father, whoem art in...."

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 11:58 AM

the boat doesnt have a motor and i only payed 140 for it but i was wantinig to get the title so i could sell the boat i might just try and find someone that owns a big stock pond that would want to buy it
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 12:06 PM

Thats really the only option for that boat. I dealt with an issue like this with a bassbuster boat...even with a plastic boat there is a boat vin that must have a clear title trail.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooker
Bless you my son,
Repeat after me, "MY Father, whoem art in...."

lol
Posted By: Backlash2

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 02:53 PM

The bill of sell has to be notorized to make it work by the person on the title to you .I went thur this a few years ago and what a pain it was . You`ll need it for the boat then one for the motor and then just to make it easy .One for the trailer also.That`s three all together and they can`t all be on just one.TMV needs one just for the trailer .All bills of sell has to have the amount for each one .Can`t group them or it wouldn`t work.Good Luck !!!

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the help anyone wanna buy a 14ft fiberglass flat bottom boat with trailer lol
Posted By: whitneycatfish

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 12/31/08 11:14 PM

as for the trailer, just register it as home made,for the boat, if the previous owner didn't have it titled in his name you can print out a form from tpwd to do a title search for free, just take it where ever you register your boat, it will give you the name and address of the title holder and you can give them a call, and if there nice they'll help you out. if it has not been titled you just have to apply for one.
Posted By: fishinnb

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/01/09 11:28 AM

you have to get a release of lien, bill of sale for boat and motor. i bought my boat from my father in law. he lost the title. IT WAS A PAIN. had to go back to the origonal owner from 1988 to get the info.

that being said the ladies at tpwd in austin were very patient and helpful, and we got it done.

whitneycatfish is right on about the trailer.
Posted By: rangertb

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/01/09 11:43 AM

I just went through this. The first thing to do is see if you can see any signs of an old TX number. They can look that up and possibly find it in the tpwd system. If no number can be found, I printed out forms pwd 143 and 314 and went back to the seller to have them fill these out. One is a registration and title application which the seller has to sign and the other is an affidavit stating why the previous owner did not title the boat and did not have it registered. I also took a pencil tracing of the hull number and a printed out digital picture of the hull id. With the above paperwork I was issued a Texas certificate and Tx numbers. It took me several trips to get this all together and cost me $67.50 to do all this. Have to do all this to use the boat with a trolling motor or gas motor.
Posted By: Gambit

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/02/09 01:03 AM

If you wan't to register a boat in texas, without a title.
You had better be in contact with the original owner, because I had the same problem and TPWS will NOT let you register a boat without a title. PERIOD
Posted By: JesseX

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/02/09 09:40 AM

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt.

See: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/owner/titles_and_registration/

Click on: Not Currently Titled and/or Registered Through TPWD media download(PDF 231.9 KB) -This matrix provides the requirements for titling/registration of a boat/outboard motor which is currently not titled/registered through Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/06/09 11:54 PM

I have a similar situation, but was told by TPWD to look at getting a bonded title. I posted on here before about this and got a lot of the same comments. I don't need the boat nor the headache.
Posted By: Classic Used Boats

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/07/09 07:42 PM

If you know someone in Louisiana, they can title it with only a bill of sale. Then they can sell it back to you.
Posted By: Bill Dooky

Re: I have a boat that i purchased with no title but i have a bill of sale - 01/08/09 01:15 AM

I bought a cheep jon boat and had to figure this out. I lucked out cuz it was so old it had ZERO identifying marks on it. The texas numbers or hull ID can all be traced and they make it so that you MUST find the last title holder. If it has no ID on it then you get your buddy to put on the form that it has been in the family for years and has always been used on private land so it has never been registerd. After a game warden inspection you get a new hull ID, TX numbers and a title. Trailers are easy, call it home built.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum