Texas Fishing Forum

Aluminum boat crack repair?

Posted By: Ryan B

Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 03:51 AM

Hey guys, got my war eagle boat and I bought it knowing it has a crack in it. My question is how should I go about repairing it? What do y’all recommend? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 10:13 AM

There are all kinds of epoxies and easy temporary fixes. The right thing would be to take it to somebody that can weld aluminum PROFICIENTLY. Have them end drill the crack on each end then weld it up. End drilling keeps it from continuing to split in the same line it has been running. And congrats on the boat, War Eagle builds a nice boat. Good luck!
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 01:18 PM

Paul Welds Ft Worth
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 01:28 PM

Take that boat to an aluminum welder that uses a spool gun. it won't get the metal as hot as a tig welder and will
be just as strong.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 01:32 PM

Get it welded and be done with it
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 02:03 PM

I bought my G3 with a crack in the hull that looked similar to yours. I took it to Lake LBJ Marineland in Kingsland. They said they had a guy who was an "artist" at aluminum welding. He did the work. That was 4 years ago--no leaks since.

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 02:58 PM

I’d love to get it welded but I can’t seem to find anyone around the Pearland or Alvin area to do it. I have called a few welding shops and they all keep telling me that they won’t touch aluminum so now I guess I’ll just wait until I get the trailer registered and I’ll have to drag it some where to get it done.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 07:40 PM

I had a crack on my boat [Linked Image]
Took it to my welder buddy to get fixed [Linked Image]
Charged me 60 bucks. I think his welds are better that the factory welds [Linked Image]
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 07/31/19 10:01 PM

looks good!

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/01/19 01:31 PM

Damn, he did a good job. Wish I had a buddy that knew how to weld. I made more calls and still have no one to repair it. I have heard mixed opinions on this but how does JB weld hold up for a crack like this? What if I drilled a hole at each end of the crack then applied JB?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/01/19 01:50 PM

No. It will last only until flexed. If you are down near Houston there are numerous places that can weld aluminum for you. Do your research.

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/01/19 02:21 PM

I do appreciate the reply and I have done my research but the nearest place to me that says they weld aluminum is about 45 minutes away from me and wants $400.00 to repair it. I will continue looking bud smile
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/04/19 10:09 AM

Wish you were a little closer to DFW and I'd hook you up. Welding and especially aluminum is what I do when oil and gas is down....
I agree that a spool gun will do the trick, but lots of amateurs start with a spool gun set up so if there's any doubt, tell them to run you a bead before you let them light up on your hull. I'd take JB weld over a crappy, brittle weld. Maybe post a thread in the classified section looking for an aluminum welder in or around your location. Good luck!
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/05/19 02:09 AM

Where are you?

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/05/19 04:25 PM

Im in Pearland
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Aluminum boat crack repair? - 08/05/19 07:30 PM

gotcha, I don't know anyone out there. There are some really good places up along the red I have used.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum