Texas Fishing Forum

Additives

Posted By: mox22

Additives - 11/10/18 09:07 PM

I am sure this has already been asked, but besides ring free, what stabilizer do you run? I have a 2018 150 sho
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: Additives - 11/11/18 10:35 PM

Sea foam
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Additives - 11/13/18 01:04 PM

nothing but 87 ethanol gas in my 96 merc 200efi.
still runs fine .
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Additives - 11/13/18 01:07 PM

I think all those additives cause more harm to the motor than the ethanol. If you run your boat more than a few times a month then you shouldn't have any ethanol problems anyways. If your going to store the boat or know that you will not be using it for an extended length of time than a stabilizer would be a good idea.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Additives - 11/13/18 01:48 PM

FuelStabil is all I use. If you want better gas, bump up the octane.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Additives - 11/13/18 06:04 PM

Higher octane doesn't mean better gas. Higher octane than recommended can be bad for the motor
Posted By: Shawn the printer

Re: Additives - 11/14/18 01:55 AM

The little 50 Yamaha i just rebuilt, proved to me the need to decarbon on a regular basis.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Additives - 11/14/18 02:35 AM

I use stabil marine consistantly. I store boat inside always with a full tank, I change my in line filter every 3 months. I follow manufacturers maintenance schedule to the t. Never had an issue with any of the 14motors I have owned new or used, low or high hours.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Additives - 11/14/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee
Higher octane doesn't mean better gas. Higher octane than recommended can be bad for the motor

Didn't know that. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Additives - 11/14/18 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
Originally Posted By: Dubee

Didn't know that. I'll have to keep that in mind.
You are not alone. There are a lot of people that think just because it cost more it must be better. I have heard that ethanol is used as an octane booster and that you only see ethanol free in the lower octanes. I am not sure this is the case everywhere because people on the Tundra forum swear that their ethanol free comes in the higher octane. Some people swear that the butt dyno says their engine is making more power and they are seeing better MPGs. When I pulled the Champ back from La. I tried premium in the second tank and I did get better MPGs but not enough to offset the cost. Definitely could not feel an increase in power.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Additives - 11/25/18 01:32 PM

have used ring free on ProV 150 for 21 years and Stabil Marine. Have zero problems and still runs like it did when brand new.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum