Texas Fishing Forum

Electric trim tabs

Posted By: Box Fish Hero

Electric trim tabs - 08/03/18 02:19 AM

Anyone have much experience with electric trim tabs? I have a 24'+ deep v aluminum boat that has a slight port list through most of the throttle range. Its not bad, just bugs me. I have adjusted weight all over the boat and it doesn't want to correct. I have been reading a lot and it seems electric trim tabs would be a nice addition to the boat, they would correct the list but would also give me an option for planing at lower speeds and the ability to adjust the planing attitude for different conditions. The trouble i'm seeing that i will likely have is limited space on the transom for the required mounting height of the tabs i'm seeing available. I have a swim deck and float pods across the length of the transom, only leaves me 5-6" of vertical clearance. I have checked around with all the local marine shops in my area here in NE Oklahoma and they just don't deal with tabs and do not know anything about them. If anyone can steer me in the right direction for some technical advice about mounting requirements and maybe some unconventional mounting options, would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Electric trim tabs - 08/03/18 04:03 AM

Trim tabs seem taboo to bass boats, but they are quite handy to have. Your boat would be a very good use of tabs for what you're wanting to do. Go for it.

There are several different designs that should be able to fit into your situation, Lenco is the one I've rigged the most and they have some very low profile units.
Posted By: Boomerbrewer

Re: Electric trim tabs - 08/03/18 11:53 AM

I just installed a set of bennet electric tabs on my center console for a very similar reason. I also have a complicated transom and had to mount the actuators nearly vertically to the bottom of the swim platform. I had more like 8" of clearance though. I really like being able to level out the boat no matter where people sit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum