Texas Fishing Forum

Outboards old vs new

Posted By: plk1122

Outboards old vs new - 07/15/18 07:31 PM

Hey Folks,

I am looking for a used fiberglass boat (still undecided if i want a bass boat or cc). I found a fiberglass bass boat at a price that i like, the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is it has a carburetor 2 stroke engine (2005). This is different from my current ETEC 2 stroke (which as a computer). How much should this matter or should i take into account? Should i wait and find something with newer technology?
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/15/18 08:20 PM

I love the old school stuff, but that’s because i’m poor and can’t afford anything new.... hammer
It’s also because they are simple to work on, and pretty reliable in my opinion if you take care of them.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/15/18 09:00 PM

That motor still has a computer. So far the old carb and EFI motors live a lot longer.

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/15/18 09:16 PM

Do you mind telling me your opinion on this boat. I know its not the best bass boat, but I need a smaller boat (easier to tow & fit in my garage)

http://boats.iboats.com/2005-nitro-boats-750-nx-dc/2001862.html

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/16/18 03:55 AM

Meh.
Go find an 18 champ or bass cat.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/16/18 06:28 PM

The like the efi motors. you should be able to find a better rig around that price.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/17/18 05:15 PM

I had a Black Max for 30 years. I don't think there is anything wrong with carbed motors as long a you learn to do basic carb overhauls. Last problem I had was pinholes in a float. Some parts were getting a little tough to find for my 1985 so I decide to sell and buy something newer. One thing I do notice with the Optimax is it seems to do a lot better on gas. Might just be the 95 gallon tank.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/17/18 06:07 PM

Nothing wrong with that motor but no to the Nitro at that price. Keep looking. Think there's better out there for the price.

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/19/18 05:15 PM

My marine guy told me he would go with the a new motor and not a carbed motor since that is old technology compared to what has come out recent and what will come out in the future.

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/2003-ranger-185dvx-for-sale/6643389445.html

What are your thoughts on this one?
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/19/18 06:41 PM

You might check this out, looks like it was taken care of. Good amount of boat for the price.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/1997-procraft-bass-200-dual/6647169624.html
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/20/18 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: plk1122
My marine guy told me he would go with the a new motor and not a carbed motor since that is old technology compared to what has come out recent and what will come out in the future.

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/2003-ranger-185dvx-for-sale/6643389445.html

What are your thoughts on this one?

He's probably too young to know how to work on a carbed motor then. LOL.

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/20/18 01:56 PM

Believe it or not he is in his 50s/60s. I just trying to see what is a good value.

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/20/18 02:14 PM

Your carb/EFI two strokes are designed to live long and burn a lot of fuel/oil. What makes them less efficient is also what makes them live long.
The tolerances of new motors to achieve California requirements gives them great economy but the slightest malfunction, in addition to the garbage fuel we are forced to use makes for an alarming number of blown motors.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/25/18 08:17 PM

Check your pms
Posted By: AGSWON

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/26/18 01:29 PM

I second what Pat said. I have a '92 Johnson Fastrike 175hp with 500 hours on it. That thing is an awesome motor. Just keeps running and running. Run good quality oil and make sure to use marine fuel stabilizer if you aren't going to run the boat every couple of weeks. The stabilizer will save you on carb rebuilds.
Posted By: Pinkus

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/27/18 10:13 AM

I like the old stuff for simplicity, but then again I really like my new Pro XS, super nice backing into the water, bumping the key and taking off.. I don’t miss trying to get my old johnnyrude started, definitely don’t miss fogging the whole ramp when she does come alive..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/27/18 02:16 PM

Find a four stroke and never look back.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/31/18 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Find a four stroke and never look back.

+1

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/31/18 09:22 PM

I'm going to run my carb two stroke as long as I can, there's nothing on the market that matches the power to weight ratio. A 90 four stroke or DFI would sink my scooter.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/31/18 09:41 PM

Not even the newer 2 strokes can come close to the power to weight ratio I have with my old Yamaha 90, 2 stroke.

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
I'm going to run my carb two stroke as long as I can, there's nothing on the market that matches the power to weight ratio. A 90 four stroke or DFI would sink my scooter.

Re: Outboards old vs new - 07/31/18 10:46 PM

For us weight is everything. If you're going to run back lakes and cuts, inches matter and pounds matter for inches. If I blow my 90 up someday I guess I'll look international to get a replacement, cause sure can't match with what's available today. And sure not interested in running a tub that doesn't do anything else the pack isn't doing.

Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Outboards old vs new - 08/03/18 12:20 AM

I've always heard that Yamaha 90s were beasts. I had one that was a salt water motor and a real dog, but in all fairness, and I didn't realize until later, that the previous owner did no rinsing, minimal maintenance, and fed it Walmart 2 stroke oil.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum