Texas Fishing Forum

Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down?

Posted By: tspfish

Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down? - 06/24/18 01:16 PM

Looking for some help or diagnosis direction. I’ve got a 2011 Yahama SHO 250 that wont crank when trimmed down? Anything below about a half inch of down trim and the motor wont crank. Any position above, it cranks & starts just fine. When trimmed down, turn the key, fuel pump turns on, all gauges on and nothing - no starter engaging or solenoid. Once started in the trimmed up position (which it will crank & start every time), I can trim down as normal and run as normal. I’ve check the wiring harness going from the hull to the motor, & connection points for loose connections/wiring. Could it be a bad neutral safety switch? Any help would be appreciated
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down? - 06/24/18 10:56 PM

had one like that it was on a skeeter with a hyd jack plate it put the main engine harness in such a bind that it pulled the hot wire in the harness nearly into an that is why it would only work in a certain position.

Re: Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down? - 06/25/18 12:09 AM

Appreciate the input - I’ve check the harness & the harness plug, twisted pull, & bent it around and it makes no difference?
Posted By: OneFishAway

Re: Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down? - 06/28/18 03:51 AM

Almost gaurantee you have a broken wire in the harness. Been there done that. Mine had exact same symptoms. Ended up being an ignition wire broken inside the insulation.

Re: Yahama SHO 250 wont crank when trimmed down? - 08/15/18 10:48 AM

Update - Again, appreciate the input. Replaced the Yamaha rigging harness and problem fixed!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum