Texas Fishing Forum

Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know

Posted By: MuglyFish

Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/28/18 10:28 PM

So, I have been looking at a Lowe 20' Bay center console boat. I sold my Tracker and shopping a new boat. I don't fish tournaments, but enjoy flipping under docks for bass. Does anyone have a lower profile center console that can chime in with the maneuverability vs the standard bass boats? Do you have issues bass fishing from a center console?

I am torn between the Lowe 20' Bay or going traditional Lowe 175C..

These are the boats models I am choosing from ..
https://www.northtexasmarine.com/default...r=xNewInventory

https://www.northtexasmarine.com/default...r=xNewInventory
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/28/18 11:35 PM

I've had my (Fiberglass Deep V Wellcraft) since 96'. I will never sit down and operate a boat again. I want to see what's in front of me all the time. You won't be sorry with that CC.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/28/18 11:41 PM

There's a fleet of really well made aluminum center consoles that are better than a lowe at about the same price:
Scandy White in Florida
Empire
Boatright
Fifth Lake

I'm partial to the scandy and boatright, but all are lifetime hulls.
And they are all saltwater boats, which won't have cancer if you decide to dunk it in the bay.
Posted By: MuglyFish

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 12:49 AM

The Lowe 20' Bay has a saltwater package that I was looking at.. Along with galvanized trailer for alittle more protection in the saltwater. I do not think I will go into the saltwater much, but with the package it has equipped.. I should be OK for a handful of trips to the coast every decade smile

Unless I'm missing something important?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: MuglyFishing
The Lowe 20' Bay has a saltwater package that I was looking at.. Along with galvanized trailer for alittle more protection in the saltwater. I do not think I will go into the saltwater much, but with the package it has equipped.. I should be OK for a handful of trips to the coast every decade smile

Unless I'm missing something important?

Look at the rigging and electrical, you will know real quick if that boat is really ready for the salt. Also, look at the trailer frame, if it is a tube frame, that’s a no go for the salt, even if it’s galvanized, even after one trip.
Posted By: Droyhef

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 02:14 AM

[quote=MuglyFishing]The Lowe 20' Bay has a saltwater package that I was looking at.. Along with galvanized trailer for alittle more protection in the saltwater. I do not think I will go into the saltwater much, but with the package it has equipped.. I should be OK for a handful of trips to the coast every decade smile

You are. You asked about info from people that know, pat knowes. He said for similar money you can get a better boat.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 12:02 PM

Let's dig this hole a little deeper.
You don't say where you're from. Or who you're looking to purchase from.

Here's the sobering advice for the day:
It takes ONE trip to the bay to insert terminal cancer on a boat not properly rigged for it.
Here's what a saltwater prepared boat does NOT have:
carpet.
zink piano hinges for lids.
unsealed switches, breakers, electrical connections.
plug in lights
Then there's rigging, it takes a lot longer to properly rig a saltwater boat than a freshwater, and if your dealer isn't schooled they'll have no idea what's required.
Lowe is not a bad boat, and I'm not calling it a ugly baby. You asked is there anything better, and there absolutely is.
Posted By: sae

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 02:56 PM

It only takes 1 trip to the coast in a fresh water boat to start the cancer. ask me
how I know.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 03:17 PM

And even if it is rigged for salt, you should still plan on going though a lot of Corrosion-X. That stuff will be your best friend.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Center Console boat questions... Help with advice from those who know - 05/29/18 05:35 PM

Go with the Bay. If I can get my 22' Champ back in to the back waters of coves on Lake Fork then certainly you can do it with the lighter weight Lowe's. When I bought mine I was a little concerned about fishing shallow water but we had no problem this spring. Only problem we had was keeping the green trash fish off our hooks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum